WWW Wednesday (August 22nd)

This weekly meme is hosted by Sam at Taking on a World of Words. It’s open to all to participate. Why not join in and let us know what’s on your reading list this week…

Welcome to this week’s WWW Wednesday!

I’m visiting my favourite independent bookshop this evening, Booka bookshop in Oswestry, for an evening with Joanna Cannon, author of The Trouble with Goats and Sheep and Three Things about Elsie so I’ll catch up with your posts and comments as soon as I can.

I’m reading The Last Family in England by Matt Haig

This is my latest book club read and not one I was really looking forward to as I’m not a massive doggy lover but it’s actually kinda sweet and sad.

Meet the Hunter family: Adam, Kate, and their children Hal and Charlotte. And Prince, their Labrador.

Prince is an earnest young dog, striving hard to live up to the tenets of the Labrador Pact (Remain Loyal to Your Human Masters, Serve and Protect Your Family at Any Cost). Other dogs, led by the Springer Spaniels, have revolted. As things in the Hunter family begin to go badly awry – marital breakdown, rowdy teenage parties, attempted suicide – Prince’s responsibilities threaten to overwhelm him and he is forced to break the Labrador Pact and take desperate action to save his Family.

I recently finished Cloud Atlas by David Mitchell

I finished it…it took 2 weeks, partly due to my time not the book, but I really don’t why I felt so intimidated by this book.  It wasn’t what I expected and I enjoyed it a lot more than I thought it would.

Souls cross ages like clouds cross skies . . .

Six interlocking lives – one amazing adventure. In a narrative that circles the globe and reaches from the 19th century to a post-apocalyptic future, Cloud Atlas erases the boundaries of time, genre and language to offer an enthralling vision of humanity’s will to power, and where it will lead us.

What’s up next? Midnight at the Bright Ideas Bookstore by Matthew Sullivan

Bad book blogger alert again! This ARC has been on my TBR for…well it doesn’t matter how long, I’ll be reading it next.  Who doesn’t love a book set in a bookshop!

What do you do when the life you’ve carefully built for yourself comes apart?

Lydia Smith lives a quiet life, spent in the company of her colleagues and customers at the bookstore where she works. But when Joey Molina, a young and mysterious regular, hangs himself in the bookstore and leaves Lydia secret messages hidden in the pages of his books, her world starts to unravel.

Why did Joey do it?

What did he know?

And what does it have to do with Lydia?

What do you make of my choices this week?

1. 22nd August 2018 / 8:23 am

I both loved and hated The Last Family in England. It’s so well written but just incredibly depressing.

From memory Cloud Atlas was great but there were definitely some stories that interested me more than others.

Enjoy your reads this week.

• Lindsay | Bookboodle
      Author
      24th August 2018 / 7:43 am

Your bang on with The Last Family in England although I have found there to be some laugh out loud moments! 🙂

• Lindsay | Bookboodle
      Author
      24th August 2018 / 6:19 pm

I’m hoping for a good read but either way it’s one less on the ARC TBR so win win 😉

2. 22nd August 2018 / 12:16 pm

I like the look of Midnight at the Bright Ideas Book Shop! Enjoy your reading time!

• Lindsay | Bookboodle
      Author
      24th August 2018 / 6:23 pm

Sounds good doesn’t it! Thanks, you too!

3. 22nd August 2018 / 1:44 pm

Ooh, Midnight at the Bright Ideas Bookstore sounds so good. I almost passed it by, as the cover is kind of “meh,” which goes to show that one should not judge a book by its cover.

Your evening at the bookstore with Joanna Cannon sounds good..I just downloaded her book Three Things About Elsie. Can’t wait to read it.

Here’s MY WWW POST

• Lindsay | Bookboodle
      Author
      24th August 2018 / 6:32 pm

I’m hoping for a good read but who knows!

The evening was lovely. I do have a copy of Elsie but am yet to read. Will probably bump up the TBR now 🙂

4. Jen - Books on the 7:47
    22nd August 2018 / 2:23 pm

I am always a fan of a book set in a bookshop – would be intrigued to know what you think of that one! I know what you mean about Cloud Atlas, I think I’d have to be in a certain mood to read it!

• Lindsay | Bookboodle
      Author
      24th August 2018 / 6:35 pm

Oh me too, looking forward to it!
      Cloud Atlas was certainly a very different read for me and I’m really pleased to have finally read it 🙂

• Lindsay | Bookboodle
      Author
      24th August 2018 / 6:43 pm

I’m glad I finally got round to reading it; it was actually very good!

5. 22nd August 2018 / 3:40 pm

I’m glad you enjoyed “Cloud Atlas” more than you thought you would. Some of the stories move slow, so I am not surprised that it took you a couple of weeks to get through. I think that was the same amount of time it took me. “Midnight at the Bright Ideas Bookstore” is on my TBR pile. I look forward to hearing how you like that one. Here is my WWW post if interested: https://greatmorrisonmigration.wordpress.com/2018/08/22/www-wednesdays-august-22-2018/

• Lindsay | Bookboodle
      Author
      24th August 2018 / 6:42 pm

Yeah I definitely enjoyed some more than other. The First Luisa Rey mystery was my favourite as I love a good murder conspiracy! 🙂

6. 23rd August 2018 / 1:58 am

I’m glad you enjoyed Cloud Atlas! And Midnight At The Bright Ideas Bookstore is an excellent read by the way. Happy reading!

• Lindsay | Bookboodle
      Author
      24th August 2018 / 6:38 pm

That’s good to hear, thanks! 🙂

7. 27th August 2018 / 7:16 pm

I’m tempted to try Cloud Atlas… I tried watching the film a couple of weeks ago and just couldn’t get into it as I found it so confusing. Then, having read a few reviews I discovered the people who enjoyed it and “got” it were the ones who’d read the book!

I recently finished Snap by Belinda Bauer (excellent read!) and I’ve just started Paul O’Grady’s Country Life.

• Lindsay | Bookboodle
      Author
      5th September 2018 / 8:00 pm

I’d put reading Cloud Atlas off for so long because I thought it would be too high brow for me and I wouldn’t be able to follow it – nothing like that at all! I don’t know why I let myself feel so intimidated!
      I’ve heard good things about Belinda Bauer since she published Rubbernecker. I’ve just not got round to reading her books!