WWW Wednesday (August 8th)

This weekly meme is hosted by Sam at Taking on a World of Words. It’s open to all to participate. Why not join in and let us know what’s on your reading list this week…

Welcome to this week’s WWW Wednesday!

I’m reading Cloud Atlas by David Mitchell

I must admit I was intimidated by this book which is probably why I’d put it off for so long but I’ve made good progress and am really enjoying it.

Souls cross ages like clouds cross skies . . .

Six interlocking lives – one amazing adventure. In a narrative that circles the globe and reaches from the 19th century to a post-apocalyptic future, Cloud Atlas erases the boundaries of time, genre and language to offer an enthralling vision of humanity’s will to power, and where it will lead us.

I recently finished After You by Jojo Moyes

I understood why readers wanted more of Lou and Will’s story but this was a bit depressing and a bit far-fetched in places.  I do have a copy of Still Me but don’t think I’ll continue with the series.

Lou Clark has lots of questions.
Like how it is she’s ended up working in an airport bar, spending every shift watching other people jet off to new places.
Or why the flat she’s owned for a year still doesn’t feel like home.
Whether her close-knit family can forgive her for what she did eighteen months ago.
And will she ever get over the love of her life.
What Lou does know for certain is that something has to change.
Then, one night, it does.
But does the stranger on her doorstep hold the answers Lou is searching for – or just more questions?
Close the door and life continues: simple, ordered, safe.
Open it and she risks everything.
But Lou once made a promise to live. And if she’s going to keep it, she has to invite them in . . .

What’s up next? The Last Family in England by Matt Haig

If I manage to finish Cloud Atlas any time soon, this is my August’s book club read so I’ll need to get this mid-August anyhow.  Don’t think this will really be my cup of tea as I’m not overly into dogs but we’ll soon see!

Meet the Hunter family: Adam, Kate, and their children Hal and Charlotte. And Prince, their Labrador.

Prince is an earnest young dog, striving hard to live up to the tenets of the Labrador Pact (Remain Loyal to Your Human Masters, Serve and Protect Your Family at Any Cost). Other dogs, led by the Springer Spaniels, have revolted. As things in the Hunter family begin to go badly awry – marital breakdown, rowdy teenage parties, attempted suicide – Prince’s responsibilities threaten to overwhelm him and he is forced to break the Labrador Pact and take desperate action to save his Family.

What do you make of my choices this week?

1. 8th August 2018 / 8:21 am

I don’t think you’ll miss much if you don’t decide to continue with the Me Before You series. I’m a massive fan of the first book, but I don’t think the next 2 were necessary. Enjoy your reads this week!

• Lindsay | Bookboodle
      Author
      8th August 2018 / 7:33 pm

I loved Me Before You too and should have been happy to leave it there but you know…you get sucked in don’t you!

• Lindsay | Bookboodle
      Author
      8th August 2018 / 7:36 pm

I’m waiting for my copy to come in from the library so we’ll soon see. Thing is, I have another book on my shelf called Fifteen Dogs, which was gifted to me by a member of my book club at Christmas, another book narrated by dogs!!

• 8th August 2018 / 10:04 pm

To be fair, a few years ago I read Flush by Virginia Woolf which is told from the point of view of Elizabeth Barrett-Browning’s spaniel. Despite not being a ‘doggy person’ either I actually found it quite charming, thanks in no part to Woolf’s characteristic sly, mocking humour which counter-acted (just) the sentimentality.

2. 8th August 2018 / 12:46 pm

My friend and I were chatting books the other day and he couldn’t believe I’d not read Cloud Atlas. It’s one of those books I’ve umm-ed and ah-ed reading for so long and never actually picked up. I’m taking the two mentions in a week as a sign to shove it up the list a bit!
    My WWW is here: https://bellisdoesbooks.wordpress.com/2018/08/08/www-wednesday/

• Lindsay | Bookboodle
      Author
      8th August 2018 / 7:46 pm

I’d actually put it off for so long because it intimidated me but I needn’t have worried! Do pick it up! 🙂

• 9th August 2018 / 10:03 am

I definitely will! I’ll let you know what I think when I do get around to it 🙂

• Lindsay | Bookboodle
      Author
      8th August 2018 / 7:50 pm

So far so good – I’d definitely recommend. It’s really a book of short stories! 🙂

• Lindsay | Bookboodle
      Author
      8th August 2018 / 7:58 pm

You were probably wise to leave it at book one. I felt the same with To Kill a Mockingbird/Go Set a Watchman, I shouldn’t have the read the latter! 🙁

• 8th August 2018 / 9:47 pm

Absolutely! When you see that there is a second and you think, “Why did they need another?” its a good enough reason to skip.

• Lindsay | Bookboodle
      Author
      8th August 2018 / 8:02 pm

My favourite story so far is the Luisa Rey mystery (sorry, can’t remember exact title). I love a conspiracy theory thriller! 🙂

• Lindsay | Bookboodle
      Author
      8th August 2018 / 8:08 pm

I hope you enjoy it – seems to have created quite a Marmite reaction :/

• Lindsay | Bookboodle
      Author
      8th August 2018 / 8:29 pm

I’m around 200 pages in and I think on story 5. I think it’s great! 🙂

p.s I’m getting ‘page not found’ when clicking your link 🙁

• 8th August 2018 / 8:51 pm

That’s unusual. I just clicked it and it work for me. Not sure what the cause of that is 🙁

• Lindsay | Bookboodle
          Author
          8th August 2018 / 10:12 pm

I could get to your blog, but not the WWW page. I’ll try again 😊

3. 8th August 2018 / 7:26 pm

Good to hear you are enjoying Cloud Atlas so far! I hope the rest is good as well. Happy reading!

• Lindsay | Bookboodle