WWW Wednesday (August 1st)

This weekly meme is hosted by Sam at Taking on a World of Words. It’s open to all to participate. Why not join in and let us know what’s on your reading list this week…

Welcome to this week’s WWW Wednesday!

I’m reading After You by Jojo Moyes

I loved Me Before You so was a little apprehensive of a sequel and am aware that it’s quite a Marmite book.  I’ve enjoyed being back in Lou’s company again even if the plot is a bit far-fetched.

Lou Clark has lots of questions.
Like how it is she’s ended up working in an airport bar, spending every shift watching other people jet off to new places.
Or why the flat she’s owned for a year still doesn’t feel like home.
Whether her close-knit family can forgive her for what she did eighteen months ago.
And will she ever get over the love of her life.
What Lou does know for certain is that something has to change.
Then, one night, it does.
But does the stranger on her doorstep hold the answers Lou is searching for – or just more questions?
Close the door and life continues: simple, ordered, safe.
Open it and she risks everything.
But Lou once made a promise to live. And if she’s going to keep it, she has to invite them in . . .

I recently finished Lullaby by Leila Slimani

When a book starts with quite an explosive ending you’d think that the rest of the book would match up to that.  For the most part this book does but…what a disappointing actual ending.

The baby is dead. It only took a few seconds.

When Myriam, a French-Moroccan lawyer, decides to return to work after having children, she and her husband look for the perfect caretaker for their two young children. They never dreamed they would find Louise: a quiet, polite and devoted woman who sings to their children, cleans the family’s chic apartment in Paris’s upscale tenth arrondissement, stays late without complaint and is able to host enviable birthday parties.

The couple and nanny become more dependent on each other. But as jealousy, resentment and suspicions increase, Myriam and Paul’s idyllic tableau is shattered…

What’s up next? Cloud Atlas by David Mitchell

This book has been on my TBR for at least 3 years!! I believe it to be a complicated challenging read but will give it a shot.

Souls cross ages like clouds cross skies . . .

Six interlocking lives – one amazing adventure. In a narrative that circles the globe and reaches from the 19th century to a post-apocalyptic future, Cloud Atlas erases the boundaries of time, genre and language to offer an enthralling vision of humanity’s will to power, and where it will lead us.

What do you make of my choices this week?

• Lindsay | Bookboodle
      Author
      1st August 2018 / 6:09 pm

I’m hoping as I’ve seen the movie it will give me some advance understanding! 🙂

1. 1st August 2018 / 11:15 am

I was disappointed with the ending of Lullaby too. A shame! I also felt the same way about After You.

• Lindsay | Bookboodle
      Author
      1st August 2018 / 6:14 pm

The ending of Lullaby was a shame as the rest of the book was so good!

• Lindsay | Bookboodle
      Author
      1st August 2018 / 6:17 pm

Good to hear – I’m looking forward to the challenge!

• Lindsay | Bookboodle
      Author
      1st August 2018 / 7:08 pm

I felt exactly the same way, and whilst this will never match up to MBY, it’s a good enough story 🙂

2. 1st August 2018 / 3:58 pm

Best of luck with Cloud Atlas. I sort of enjoyed it, even though it didn’t make any sense to me! I think it’s one of those ones you have to read, read a guidebook about it, then read it again!!

• Lindsay | Bookboodle
      Author
      1st August 2018 / 7:09 pm

I’m hoping that the fact I’ve watched the movie first will stand me in good stead!!

• 1st August 2018 / 10:25 pm

It was when I heard reviews of the movie that I finally started to understand bits of the book which had left me baffled! Still haven’t seen the film but would like to.

3. 1st August 2018 / 5:41 pm

I have After You quietly languishing on Pippa, my Kindle…and I must get to it soon!

I read and enjoyed Lullaby (called The Perfect Nanny here).

Thanks for sharing, and here’s MY WWW POST

• Lindsay | Bookboodle
      Author
      1st August 2018 / 7:23 pm

I love that you name your Kindle 😉
      After You is one of those sequels that I wasn’t sure if I wanted to read or not!

• Lindsay | Bookboodle
      Author
      1st August 2018 / 7:56 pm

Yeah, After You hasn’t been the most cheeriest of books and I have nearly finished it 🙂

4. 1st August 2018 / 10:48 pm

I gave up on After You when I tried to read it, I just found it a bit too depressing. I do want to give it another go though as I’ve since won a signed copy of the third book in the series. I was hoping it was just that I wasn’t in the right mood when I picked it up and that it’ll be second time lucky. I hope it gets better for you and that you manage to finish it. Cloud Atlas has been on my TBR for a really long time too because it intimidates me. I hope you find it easy to get in to and that you really enjoy it, I have heard great things about it. 🙂

• Lindsay | Bookboodle
      Author
      3rd August 2018 / 6:30 pm

Yeah you’re right, it wasn’t the cheeriest of novels! I do have a copy of Still Me somewhere around but I probably won’t read it now.
      I felt the same way about Cloud Atlas to be honest. I’m around 30 pages in and I’m finding it hard-going, the language isn’t the quickest to read and get your head round!

• Lindsay | Bookboodle
      Author
      3rd August 2018 / 6:33 pm

Thanks for the advice! I’m finding the first story interesting but the language is hard to get your head round! 🙂

5. 2nd August 2018 / 10:48 pm

I hope After You will treat you better! And good luck with Cloud Atlas; I’ve heard that one is a tricky one. Happy reading!

• Lindsay | Bookboodle
      Author
      3rd August 2018 / 6:31 pm

After You was an ok read, I can see why a lot of readers didn’t like it!
      Cloud Atlas is challenging!! 😉

• 3rd August 2018 / 6:50 pm

I feel like After You wasn’t really necessary, and the author just should have left Me Before You as a stand-alone? But yeah, money and all… 😉 I’ll be looking forward to your thoughts on Cloud Atlas! I’m still not sure whether to tackle that one myself haha.