WWW Wednesday (July 18th)

This weekly meme is hosted by Sam at Taking on a World of Words. It’s open to all to participate. Why not join in and let us know what’s on your reading list this week…

Welcome to this week’s WWW Wednesday!

It’s been well over a month since I last joined in with WWW due to holidays and life…so I’m looking forward to catching up with the books you’re all reading!

I’m reading Exit West by Mohsin Hamid

This is our latest book club read.  Good to read something set out of the Western world and is a book that’ll give you real perspective!

Nadia and Saeed are two ordinary young people, attempting to do an extraordinary thing – to fall in love – in a world turned upside down. Theirs will be a love story but also a story about how we live now and how we might live tomorrow, of a world in crisis and two human beings travelling through it.

Civil war has come to the city which Nadia and Saeed call home. Before long they will need to leave their motherland behind – when the streets are no longer useable and the unknown is safer than the known. They will join the great outpouring of people fleeing a collapsing city, hoping against hope, looking for their place in the world . . .

I finished quite a few books since my last post, here’s a short round-up

(click the covers for blurbs etc)

Irish family saga 3*

Better than expected 3*

Different approach to story-telling! 4*

Lacking in something 3*

Happily surprised 4*

The mother of psychological thrillers! 4.5*

What’s up next? The Guernsey Literary and Potato Peel Pie Society by Mary Ann Shaffer and Annie Barrows

I’m going to try and squeeze in a re-read of this book for book club next Wednesday.  Last month’s host had picked this as the main book but had suspected I’d already read it, which is why I’m reading Exit West.  But I want to be able to contribute so should be able to manage it.

It’s 1946. The war is over, and Juliet Ashton has writer’s block. But when she receives a letter from Dawsey Adams of Guernsey – a total stranger living halfway across the Channel, who has come across her name written in a second hand book – she enters into a correspondence with him, and in time with all the members of the extraordinary Guernsey Literary and Potato Peel Pie Society.

Through their letters, the society tell Juliet about life on the island, their love of books – and the long shadow cast by their time living under German occupation. Drawn into their irresistible world, Juliet sets sail for the island, changing her life forever.

What do you make of my choices this week?

• Lindsay | Bookboodle
      Author
      19th July 2018 / 8:36 pm

mmmm I didn’t love it. Unfortunately I think this author just doesn’t do it for me 🙁

• 19th July 2018 / 8:44 pm

It happens! You gave it a try, that’s good enough! I just had a massive disappointment with a book I’d been dying to read for two years, it just didn’t work for me, but I remember reading lots of great reviews…

• Lindsay | Bookboodle
          Author
          19th July 2018 / 9:04 pm

Well yes, you can’t always like what everyone else does!! Harsh realisation 🙂

• Lindsay | Bookboodle
      Author
      19th July 2018 / 8:41 pm

Well I have had a few weeks 😉
      Thanks for your link!

• Lindsay | Bookboodle
      Author
      19th July 2018 / 8:46 pm

Exit West wasn’t what I thought it was going to be at all! In a not good way unfortunately for me so good luck with it!

1. 18th July 2018 / 2:54 pm

Gosh so many interesting looking books. I too won a copy of Exit West in a giveaway and like Ryan above, the copy is still sitting on my bookshelf waiting for me to get to it. Perhaps I’ll get round to reading it this year as well! I enjoyed The Word is Murder as well – Anthony Horowitz is a clever, clever man…. His Sherlock Holmes ‘sequels’ -The House of Silk and Moriarty – are good too.

Here’s my WWW link: https://whatcathyreadnext.wordpress.com/2018/07/18/www-wednesdays-18th-july-18/

• Lindsay | Bookboodle
      Author
      19th July 2018 / 8:52 pm

I didn’t really like Exit West to be honest. It wasn’t what I was expecting at all and went off on a weird tangent, so mmm.
      I’m desperate to try more of Anthony Horowitz’s books so thanks for the recommendations 🙂

2. 18th July 2018 / 3:45 pm

I enjoyed The Surrogate…and added that author’s book The Date this week. I also loved Little Fires Everywhere. Here is MY WWW POST

• Lindsay | Bookboodle
      Author
      19th July 2018 / 9:01 pm

Unfortunately I didn’t really love either of these books. Oh dear!

• Lindsay | Bookboodle
      Author
      19th July 2018 / 9:13 pm

I’m enjoying my re-read. I hardly ever, almost never, re-read books as there’s just too many to read.
      Thanks for visiting and leaving your link 🙂

• Lindsay | Bookboodle
      Author
      19th July 2018 / 9:05 pm

The Alienist is fantastic and I’ve now just started watching the series on Netflix which is just as good!
      Exit West started well but fell flat for me due to certain plot strands…but hey, that’s just me!
      Thanks for visiting and leaving your link 🙂

• 20th July 2018 / 4:14 am

How are you watching The Alienist on Netflix? I don’t have cable and have been trying desperately to find a way to watch it. Sorry to hear about Exit West.

• Lindsay | Bookboodle
          Author
          20th July 2018 / 6:46 pm

I’m in the UK and The Alienist is available on there.