WWW Wednesday (May 30th)

This weekly meme is hosted by Sam at Taking on a World of Words. It’s open to all to participate. Why not join in and let us know what’s on your reading list this week…

Welcome to this week’s WWW Wednesday!

I’m reading The Last Hedgehog by Pam Ayres

Super cute small book of poetry with stunning illustrations but with a serious tone at its heart.

To mark and celebrate National Hedgehog Awareness Week, Pam Ayres has written a less-than-fond farewell from perspective of the ‘last hedgehog left on earth’ – a delightful, hilarious and thought-provoking elegy to that most beloved inhabitant of the British countryside, the common hedgehog.

Pam Ayres’ spiky and wonderful creation reminds us that unless we take steps to prevent it, they will soon be far from ‘common’ indeed: beautifully illustrated by Alice Tait, the poem The Hedgehog sees our hero tell of all the terrible ends his family come to at our own hands – and exactly what we can still do to keep them alive, and see them thrive once more.

I recently finished Eleanor Oliphant is Completely Fine by Gail Honeyman

Oh this book! I loved it and don’t feel quite ready to let go of Eleanor just yet.  I almost shed a tear when I was reading in a coffee shop and it wasn’t even the saddest scene in the book!

Eleanor Oliphant has learned how to survive – but not how to live

Eleanor Oliphant leads a simple life. She wears the same clothes to work every day, eats the same meal deal for lunch every day and buys the same two bottles of vodka to drink every weekend.

Eleanor Oliphant is happy. Nothing is missing from her carefully timetabled life. Except, sometimes, everything.

One simple act of kindness is about to shatter the walls Eleanor has built around herself. Now she must learn how to navigate the world that everyone else seems to take for granted – while searching for the courage to face the dark corners she’s avoided all her life.

Change can be good. Change can be bad. But surely any change is better than… fine?

What’s up next? The Hazel Wood by Melissa Albert

This is very out of my comfort zone but I’d seen lots of positive reviews and so requested an ARC and was delighted to be approved.  I’m looking forward to trying something different but also somewhat wary I might not like it.

Seventeen-year-old Alice and her mother have spent most of Alice’s life on the road, always a step ahead of the strange bad luck biting at their heels.

But when Alice’s grandmother, the reclusive author of a book of pitch-dark fairy tales, dies alone on her estate – the Hazel Wood – Alice learns how bad her luck can really get.

Her mother is stolen, by a figure who claims to come from the cruel supernatural world from her grandmother’s stories.

Alice’s only lead is the message her mother left behind: STAY AWAY FROM THE HAZEL WOOD.
To retrieve her mother, Alice must venture first to the Hazel Wood, then into the world where her grandmother’s tales began . . .

What do you make of my choices this week?

1. 30th May 2018 / 8:16 am

Not long finished The Hazel Wood. LOVED it. Very creative use of fairy tale themes. I wish I could have spent much more time in the Hinterland. I am impressed you’re giving it a go Lindsay 😀

• Lindsay | Bookboodle
      Author
      30th May 2018 / 6:52 pm

That’s high praise! Well you know me, I like to step out of my comfort zone! 🙂

2. 30th May 2018 / 9:09 am

I really need to read Eleanor… it’s been around everywhere and so many people seem to be loving it! 🙂 Have a great week!

• Lindsay | Bookboodle
      Author
      30th May 2018 / 6:53 pm

Do read it, I’m sure you won’t be disappointed! 🙂

• Lindsay | Bookboodle
      Author
      30th May 2018 / 6:56 pm

Oh do read it, I can’t believe how much I enjoyed it 🙂

3. Emily Wrayburn
    30th May 2018 / 11:00 am

I’m so torn on The Hazel Wood. It sounds like something I’d enjoy but I just can’t help but suspect it is going to go in directions I haven’t liked in similar books… but I could be totally wrong, so maybe I should read it! Haha, I don’t know. I hope you enjoy it, particularly if it is out of your comfort zone. It’s nice to discover a gem that way.

Here’s my WWW.

• Lindsay | Bookboodle
      Author
      30th May 2018 / 7:04 pm

It’s going to be a very different read for me so do check back here next week and see how I get on…I just hope I get through it! 😉
      Thanks for visiting and leaving your WWW link!

4. 30th May 2018 / 3:55 pm

I’m still waiting for my copy of Eleanor Oliphant from the library. I’ve been trying to buy fewer books and borrow more. So far, so good, but it’s hard to wait for some books. And sometimes I fail. Sigh.

Here’s MY WWW POST

• Lindsay | Bookboodle
      Author
      30th May 2018 / 7:05 pm

I know what you mean about buying books and waiting for library copies. I requested Lullaby about a month ago and am still waiting. Fortunately I have plenty to keep me busy in the meantime! 😉
      I hope you get Eleanor soon!

5. 31st May 2018 / 7:44 pm

Oh, I really want to read The Last Hedgehog! Sweet books with a hard hitting center are often some of the best books. Found “WWW Wednesday” through your blog, and really want to start doing it myself, from next week on 🙂 Great post and blog! Keep up the good work x

• Lindsay | Bookboodle
      Author
      31st May 2018 / 9:30 pm

It was a very quick read with a hopeful message at its heart 🙂
      Thanks for visiting and hopefully ‘see’ you next week for WWW!