Do I really need Instagram and Pinterest in my life?

This post is prompted by a blog I read via a Sunday Blog Share link a couple of weekends ago, whereby the writer suggested that if you don’t have Pinterest you’re losing out on potential readers who are not bloggers.  I’m not gonna lie, I’d like to grow my readership, who doesn’t want a few more views on that post we worked really hard on, but do I really need Pinterest and Instagram in my life?

On a daily basis I struggle to keep up with Twitter and rarely check out my blog’s page on Facebook for different posts and ideas.  I have a Bloglovin account, that again, I automatically post my blog posts to, but rarely go and have a nose about because there just aren’t enough hours in the day.

I am aware that the majority of my readers and commenters tend to be other bloggers, which don’t get me wrong, that’s great, I appreciate every view, like, and comment.  According to Hosting Facts, there are over 2 million blog posts every day, so competition is pretty fierce, so I ask myself, and you, this question am I missing out on new readers, finding new blogs and inspiration because I don’t currently have either of these apps.

Would it become another platform that I’d eventually neglect?

What are your thoughts, as fellow bloggers, readers, human beings with lives to live – do I really need Pinterest and Instagram in my life?

1. 1st April 2018 / 9:22 am

I agree with everything you have said in your post and would also like to know the answers. I do use Twitter and Facebook a lot but have never expanded into the other social networking platforms and I’m really not one for taking pictures of everything.

• Lindsay | Bookboodle
      1st April 2018 / 12:36 pm

Thank you – hopefully other bloggers will inspire us or provide us with the way forward 🙂

2. 1st April 2018 / 10:23 am

I would love to get to grips with IG. Saved loads of info to ‘read later’ but of course that ‘later’ never comes. I do post there but go through dips. As with all SM you need to post every day to keep the interaction going and when I fall off the radar (this time being unwell) I feel less inspired to start posting again. Kate (Katesbookspot) has found her tribe there but she has worked hard at it.

Pinterest … personally I think the only way to increase audience is through the app Tailwind which is automated. I’ve used Pinterest for years Lindsay and what I find is the pins I re-pin are the ones other users re-pin (not my own hahaha).

Twitter was always my ‘go to’ but since the changes, I don’t like it so much. Not feeling inspired about SM at all to be honest.

My family swear by Reddit but I can’t get to grips with that either. StumbleUpon is another one I’d like to know more about.

I think you need to find what SM platform works for you and then stick to it. You would need to be superhuman to engage on all platforms and it’s no good if you spread yourself too thin.

• Lindsay | Bookboodle
      1st April 2018 / 12:57 pm

Excellent advice, as always Shaz. You make a good point about finding what works for you and sticking with that. Twitter, I can manage easily, because I’m still in that being a bit addicted stage. Facebook, I could really take it or leave it – I use it more personally but it really winds me up. I should really just delete my account but I do have fear of missing out 🙂

3. Terry Tyler
    1st April 2018 / 10:54 am

I agree with what Shaz said, above – I think it’s best to decide on which SM site you like best and do it well. For me, it’s Twitter. I don’t have time to compete with all the amazing profiles who do Pinterest properly, I can’t stand Facebook (I only use it for personal stuff, occasionally), and don’t have a smartphone so can’t do Instagram, and even if I had I wouldn’t, because I’ve looked at a couple of the profiles who are successful, and they do like it’s their DAY JOB!

I think if you try and spread yourself too thinly you end up with less. I see it on FB, and on Twitter ~ half-hearted book promo posts that get no attention. The blogging community on Twitter is terrific – although a writer more than a blogger, if it wasn’t for Twitter I’d hardly get any views, I don’t think! It’s all about using the right hashtags, sharing others’ stuff, and writing good ‘headlines’ to make people click the link – but you know this, already!!!

• Lindsay | Bookboodle
      1st April 2018 / 1:00 pm

Thanks Terry for your thoughts. I think you and Shaz have confirmed really what I already knew. Taking on more when I already struggle to manage what I have is probably not going to be a good idea! 🙂

4. 1st April 2018 / 11:35 am

I live by Twitter and neglect the heck out of Facebook but someday (when I have time, falls about laughing!), I plan on looking into Instagram. I go onto Pinterest for a break every few months. I think if you invest the time into something it’ll work, if you’ve no interest, it possibly won’t. Saying that, I’m a very small blogger so …

• Lindsay | Bookboodle
      1st April 2018 / 12:42 pm

That’s very true about having the interest in it! I don’t think I really have the interest in Pinterest, I just see it as a means to an end rather than a passion so is probably not for me. I’m a small blogger too but with bigger ambitions that I can really fulfill…lol 🙂

5. 1st April 2018 / 6:46 pm

I enjoy Instagram but I’m not very consistent with it! I think if you have time to dedicate to it, then go for it! If not, I really don’t think it’s worth the stress. It’s why I won’t go for Pinterest. 😀

6. Lindsay | Bookboodle