Starting a new hobby – knitting!

Since seeing Sam’s Off Topic Thursday (on a Tuesday): Knitting I’d been thinking about getting back into knitting and trying a new-ish hobby that wouldn’t involve me eating something I’d baked and piling back on the pounds I’ve lost.

I have very fond memories of spending summers with my Gran with her teaching me to knit and guiding me through patterns.  I never quite grasped being able to cast on or off so she (or my mum) would have to do this for me.  I have distinct recollections of knitting a pink and grey dungarees set for a baby girl I used to babysit for when I was about 13 (different times!) and knitted cakes!!! Now we’re talking!!! Cakes, knitted cakes, no calories…..

My strongest memory of the cakes is a knitted Battenburg cake which looked something like these, it’s a shame really as I have no idea what happened to them.

I remember finishing 2 types of knitted cake and am pretty sure the other one was a Swiss Roll, but look, these are still actually a thing >>

My favourite is the doughnut!

So when my daughter asked me if there was anything I’d like in particular for Mother’s Day, I was like YES, a beginner’s knitting kit 🙂

And so, this is what I was very kindly given by my lovely daughter which I’m going to get started with this afternoon and I AM going to teach myself to cast on with the use of this book (and possibly YouTube) and make a scarf.  Watch this space!

Do you knit?

Or have you taken up a new hobby? How’s that working out for you?

1. 18th March 2018 / 8:35 am

Good luck with knitting 😍 I absolutely love knitting, it’s my way of clearing my mind & relaxing

• Lindsay | Bookboodle
      Author
      18th March 2018 / 12:07 pm

Thank you! I know where to come if I get stuck 🙂

2. 18th March 2018 / 8:44 am

Fab! Looking forward to seeing the creations and dont forget xmas is just over 8 months away plenty of time to make xmas presents 😉

• Lindsay | Bookboodle
      Author
      18th March 2018 / 12:08 pm

I don’t know about that! Emily has already told me she doesn’t want anything knitted, thanks very much! lol x

3. 18th March 2018 / 9:50 am

Fabulous. Hope you carry on as well Lindsay.
    Crocheting takes me away from everything into a space of silence or thoughtfulness but always within a bubble of calm. Some of my knottiest problems (see what I did there hahaha) are worked out when I’m hooking.
    Enjoy x

• Lindsay | Bookboodle
      Author
      18th March 2018 / 12:09 pm

I’m going to do my very best Shaz! I’m going to be a knitter not a quitter (rolls eyes lol)
      I love how crocheters call it hooking! 🙂

4. 18th March 2018 / 3:21 pm

Oh those look so cute!! I have a book and some yarn to make ‘amigurimi animals’ but after trying once and failing it’s still in the cupboard. I still do cross-stitching although I can’t even remember when was the last time I picked it up.. you can spend hours on it and just have done a small bit.. I thought it was a good ‘inexpensive’ hobby if you look at all the hours need to finish. But I need that time now to read more :-). Choices huh. I have at least 7 big ones waiting to be made so I hope to finish them before I get so old I can’t see well anymore haha :-). Good luck and I hope you share your progress… I’d really love to see!

• Lindsay | Bookboodle
      Author
      18th March 2018 / 8:47 pm

I know what you mean about time, I thought that when I decided to start knitting, but I wanted to do something that was away from a screen. It might only be that I do 10 minutes here and there but it’ll be worth it. I understand that cross stitching can be very time consuming and there are only so many hours in a day! 🙂

5. 18th March 2018 / 6:41 pm

I totally would love to start knitting, but I am useless with my hands and I’m afraid to start!

• Lindsay | Bookboodle
      Author
      18th March 2018 / 8:14 pm

It’s not that expensive to start so you could give it s go. I’m not the most creative person either x

6. 18th March 2018 / 9:29 pm

Oh my god, I LOVE the knitted cakes!!
    I used to be able to knit when I was a teenager. I could cast on, but my mum used to sort out the casting off 🙂
    My eldest sister is an absolute knitting demon. She’s even spun her own wool! She finds it very relaxing… I hope you do too 🙂

• Lindsay | Bookboodle
      Author
      20th March 2018 / 7:13 pm

They’re fab aren’t they!
      I didn’t realise knitting was still such a popular hobby, even amongst the younger generation. I loved my first session on Sunday 😊

7. 19th March 2018 / 12:03 am

Good luck with your knitting! I absolutely love the knitted cakes… <3 I'm hopeless at knitting, but I took up crochet last year and I absolutely love it. I did some plush animals last year, blankets and teapads, and right now I'm actually making crochet cactus (ones that I won't be able to kill haha). I just love how relaxing crochet is, even though it does take time away from reading. 😉

• Lindsay | Bookboodle
      Author
      20th March 2018 / 7:23 pm

Ahh the crocheted cacti sound cute, you should post some photos!
      I tend to only read in bed at night so my knitting won’t take time away from that, but it will take time away from the blogging – I’ll just have to be more organised 🙂

• 21st March 2018 / 2:11 am

I’ll probably take some photos for my wrap up post! I need to get more green yarn though in different shades for variety… xD
        And I hope you’ll be able to juggle the two! It’s great to have a variety of hobbies to choose from. 🙂