WWW Wednesday (January 31st)

This weekly meme is hosted by Sam at Taking on a World of Words. It’s open to all to participate. Why not join in and let us know what’s on your reading list this week…

Welcome to this week’s WWW Wednesday!  Hope life is treating you well 🙂

I’m still reading Uncommon Type by Tom Hanks and The Book of Forgotten Authors by Christopher Fowler

I’ve made very little progress with both of these and if I’m being totally honest I’m getting bored of Forgotten Authors.  It’s not that the book itself is boring, I just don’t find it gripping enough to make me want to pick it up – although I have passed author number 50 now!

A gentle Eastern European immigrant arrives in New York City after his family and his life have been torn apart by his country’s civil war. A man who loves to bowl rolls a perfect game – and then another and then another and then many more in a row until he winds up ESPN’s newest celebrity, and he must decide if the combination of perfection and celebrity has ruined the thing he loves. An eccentric billionaire and his faithful executive assistant venture into America looking for acquisitions and discover a down and out motel, romance and a bit of real life. These are just some of the tales Tom Hanks tells in this first collection of his short stories. They are surprising, intelligent, heart-warming, and, for the millions and millions of Tom Hanks fans, an absolute must-have.

Absence doesn’t make the heart grow fonder. It makes people think you’re dead.
So begins Christopher Fowler’s foray into the back catalogues and backstories of 99 authors who, once hugely popular, have all but disappeared from shelves.
We are fondly introduced to each potential rediscovery: from lost Victorian voices to the twentieth century writers who could well become the next John Williams, Hans Fallada or Lionel Davidson. Whether male or female, flash-in-the-pan or prolific, mega-seller or prize-winner – no author, it seems, can ever be fully immune from the fate of being forgotten.

I recently finished The Whistler by John Grisham

As I haven’t been loving the short story experience just lately, I picked up a Grisham…my go to read it in a weekend favourite genre/author.
There used to be a time, pre-blogging and reviewing, when a new Grisham would hit the shelves and I’d buy it and read it instantly.  As of today, I’m 4 behind.  You know what you’re getting with a Grisham, much the same way as you know with Agatha Christie or James Patterson.  Always easy reads but edge of your seat stuff!  I enjoyed it!

We expect our judges to be honest and wise. Their integrity and impartiality are the bedrock of the entire judicial system. We trust them to ensure fair trials, to protect the rights of all litigants, to punish those who do wrong, and to oversee the orderly and efficient flow of justice.

But what happens when a judge bends the law or takes a bribe? It’s rare, but it happens….

What’s up next?  Mobile Library by David Whitehouse

This will still be my next read, once I’m done with the short stories!

Twelve-year-old Bobby Nusku is an archivist of his mother. He catalogues traces of her life and waits for her to return home.

Bobby thinks that he’s been left to face the world alone until he meets lonely single mother Val and her daughter Rosa. They spend a magical summer together, discovering the books in the mobile library where Val works as a cleaner. But as the summer draws to a close, Bobby finds himself in trouble and Val is in danger of losing her job. There’s only one thing to do — and so they take to the road in the mobile library . . .

Have you read any of my choices?

1. January 31, 2018 / 7:48 pm

I haven’t read any of these books but they do look interesting! 🙂 Enjoy!

• Lindsay | Bookboodle
      January 31, 2018 / 8:36 pm

Certainly an eclectic mix 🙂

2. January 31, 2018 / 9:23 pm

It’s funny how crime writers are often the go to writers when readers need a guaranteed easy but good read. Sue Grafton has always been my go to author – I’m thinking of starting a re-read of all her books from the start of the series this year. I hope you enjoy the rest of the Tom Hanks book, I still haven’t started it but hope to soon.
    My WWW post: https://rathertoofondofbooks.com/2018/01/31/www-wednesdays-31-jan-what-are-you-reading-this-week/

• Lindsay | Bookboodle
      January 31, 2018 / 9:54 pm

I’d never heard of Sue Grafton until her death recently but am aware there’s 25 (?) books in her series? That’s a back catalogue 🙂

• February 2, 2018 / 9:58 pm

Her series is brilliant and a must-read for crime fiction fans – Kinsey Millhone is a fab character. Yes her series was meant go from A to Z but she died soon after Y was published so there are 25 books. I was planning to re-read her books at some point anyway but when I heard that she’d died I knew I would have to make sure I’d re-read some of them this year.

• Lindsay | Bookboodle
          February 3, 2018 / 8:03 pm

That’s a lot of books to get through if you’re starting reading her novels now!

3. January 31, 2018 / 9:42 pm

It’s been years since I read a Grisham. I used to be a big fan but I think I started to find they were getting a little bit samey so took a break and never really went back. I did get a sampler of Whistler and it did sound like it’d be an intriguing story, and a little bit different.

I’ve been tempted by Uncommon Type but I’ve seen some mixed reviews which put me off a little. I think I may wait and try to get it on audio.

• Lindsay | Bookboodle
      January 31, 2018 / 9:51 pm

Yeah I hear what you’re saying about samey. I’ve found I’m still enjoying them by leaving big huge gaps in between them 😉

If Tom Hanks narrates the audio book, then it’ll be a winner!

• Lindsay | Bookboodle
      February 1, 2018 / 8:55 pm

I know…too much talent for one person!
      Thanks for visiting 🙂

4. Greg Hill
    February 1, 2018 / 5:03 am

Mobile Library looks so good…

• Lindsay | Bookboodle
      February 1, 2018 / 9:01 pm

It does…am looking forward to it 🙂

5. February 1, 2018 / 10:28 am

I think we all have those ‘go-to’ books that are brilliant for when you want to know exactly what you are getting!

• Lindsay | Bookboodle
      February 1, 2018 / 9:05 pm

That’s a fab idea for a discussion post! x

6. February 1, 2018 / 5:28 pm

I agree with you that a Grisham always seems to deliver… It’s been too long (read: years) since I last read one of his books though; something I’ll have to remedy this year. 😉 Enjoy your books this week and happy reading!

• Lindsay | Bookboodle
      February 1, 2018 / 9:02 pm

I always recommend A Time to Kill – if you’ve not read it! Have a great week 🙂

• February 2, 2018 / 7:37 pm

I think I did read that one, although it’s been so long I haven’t even marked it as read on goodreads haha. I’ll definitely keep it in mind! Have a great week