WWW Wednesday (January 24th)

This weekly meme is hosted by Sam at Taking on a World of Words. It’s open to all to participate. Why not join in and let us know what’s on your reading list this week…

Welcome to this week’s WWW Wednesday!

I’m going out this evening for a family celebration so will catch up with fellow WWW-ers posts as soon as I can.

I’m reading Uncommon Type by Tom Hanks

I don’t know if actual Tom Hanks wrote these stories, I hope he did, but that hasn’t stopped me picturing him as all the lead male characters so far.  Really interesting stories! 🙂

A gentle Eastern European immigrant arrives in New York City after his family and his life have been torn apart by his country’s civil war. A man who loves to bowl rolls a perfect game – and then another and then another and then many more in a row until he winds up ESPN’s newest celebrity, and he must decide if the combination of perfection and celebrity has ruined the thing he loves. An eccentric billionaire and his faithful executive assistant venture into America looking for acquisitions and discover a down and out motel, romance and a bit of real life. These are just some of the tales Tom Hanks tells in this first collection of his short stories. They are surprising, intelligent, heart-warming, and, for the millions and millions of Tom Hanks fans, an absolute must-have.

I’m still reading The Book of Forgotten Authors by Christopher Fowler

I’ve read a few more stories about The Forgotten Authors but am making slow progress if I’m honest.

Absence doesn’t make the heart grow fonder. It makes people think you’re dead.
So begins Christopher Fowler’s foray into the back catalogues and backstories of 99 authors who, once hugely popular, have all but disappeared from shelves.
We are fondly introduced to each potential rediscovery: from lost Victorian voices to the twentieth century writers who could well become the next John Williams, Hans Fallada or Lionel Davidson. Whether male or female, flash-in-the-pan or prolific, mega-seller or prize-winner – no author, it seems, can ever be fully immune from the fate of being forgotten.

I recently finished

I’ve decided that I don’t like reading popular books around or at the time of publication which I suppose could be a bit of an issue as a book blogger.  I see snippets of reviews and I think this influences and puts me off.  I thought parts of this book were excellent but the ending left me really flat.  My thoughts are here…which I think will most likely put me in the minority.

You want to believe your husband. She wants to destroy him.

Anatomy of a Scandal centres on a high-profile marriage that begins to unravel when the husband is accused of a terrible crime. Sophie is sure her husband, James, is innocent and desperately hopes to protect her precious family from the lies which might ruin them. Kate is the barrister who will prosecute the case – she is equally certain that James is guilty and determined he will pay for his crimes.

A high-profile marriage thrust into the spotlight. A wife, determined to keep her family safe, must face a prosecutor who believes justice has been a long time coming. A scandal that will rock Westminster. And the women caught at the heart of it.

What’s up next?  Mobile Library by David Whitehouse

I’m trying to fit in more of my own books and I was struggling last night to choose my next read so rather randomly picked this.  I don’t know about you, but sometimes I’m very clear about what’s coming next, and other times, like last night, I had no idea what I fancied.  I shall probably change my mind before then….but it is a book about books 🙂

Twelve-year-old Bobby Nusku is an archivist of his mother. He catalogues traces of her life and waits for her to return home.

Bobby thinks that he’s been left to face the world alone until he meets lonely single mother Val and her daughter Rosa. They spend a magical summer together, discovering the books in the mobile library where Val works as a cleaner. But as the summer draws to a close, Bobby finds himself in trouble and Val is in danger of losing her job. There’s only one thing to do — and so they take to the road in the mobile library . . .

Have you read any of my choices?

1. 24th January 2018 / 11:49 am

Oh I totally agree with you about reading popular books after everyone else, I like to form my own opinions, so if I read one later I hope to have forgotten about the hype which first came with the book.

24th January 2018 / 5:46 pm

That’s my thinking too…but with this book I got influenced by the all hype. Thanks for visiting today 🙂

2. 24th January 2018 / 2:04 pm

I reckon Tom Hanks did write the book himself. All those years working with a load of brilliant storytellers,I bet he’s had loads of inspiration. I really want to read it! 🙂

24th January 2018 / 5:47 pm

Yeah the more I read the more I can hear him in the voices of characters! How does he have so much talent? Pfft 🙂

24th January 2018 / 5:59 pm

I know…he always comes across as such a lovely chap x

24th January 2018 / 5:58 pm

That’s just it, the hype of others has transferred to me and I feel let down and unexcited! Note to self…read six months after everyone else 😉
      Thanks for visiting!

24th January 2018 / 5:52 pm

You make a valid point Betty! Thanks for stopping by and leaving your link 🙂

3. 24th January 2018 / 5:33 pm

I loved Anatomy of a Scandal…and want to read Uncommon Type. Thanks for sharing, and here’s MY WWW POST

24th January 2018 / 6:07 pm

The ending in Anatomy just didn’t do it for me unfortunately but I totally get how others would love it. I think Uncommon Type will certainly be on the recommended list.
      Thanks for visiting leaving your link 🙂

24th January 2018 / 6:11 pm

I think our local library service has a mobile service that goes out to local villages etc…unless of course the government cuts have got rid of it. Am looking forward to it 🙂
      Thanks for visiting!

24th January 2018 / 6:13 pm

I’m surprised at how many other reader bloggers are saying the same thing!
      Thanks for visiting 🙂

25th January 2018 / 7:12 pm

I love books about books, I have another on the TBR list too 🙂
      Thanks for visiting.

4. 24th January 2018 / 11:05 pm

I’m really looking forward to reading Uncommon Type, I got it for Christmas and it’s calling to me from my bookcase so think I’ll be reading it very soon. I hope you continue to enjoy it. It’s a shame that you didn’t enjoy the ending of Anatomy of a Scandal, I really enjoyed it and liked the way it explored the aftermath of the verdict. I’ve just read your review and do agree with you about Apple Tree Yard being a better book though.
    My WWW: https://rathertoofondofbooks.com/2018/01/24/www-wednesdays-24-jan-what-are-you-reading-this-week/

25th January 2018 / 7:19 pm

I had my copy for my birthday which is in October! The stories are really well thought out and interesting, I think you’ll like it. I think I was expecting something different from Anatomy and the ending just wasn’t for me.
      Thanks for visiting your link 🙂

5. 25th January 2018 / 1:25 am

A shame you weren’t able to enjoy Anatomy Of A Scandal better! But someone has to do the unpopular opinion reviews right? I still have to pick up a copy of this one, although I will probably wait until the hype dies down a bit. 😉 Enjoy your books this week and happy reading!

25th January 2018 / 7:25 pm

I wish I’d waited a bit longer to read it actually but hey ho! Thanks for returning the visit 🙂

6. Greg Hill
    25th January 2018 / 2:41 am

The Mobile Library looks great! And The Book of forgotten Authors sounds really unique!

25th January 2018 / 7:27 pm

The Book of Forgotten Authors is a really interesting concept…it’s a just bit slow 🙂

7. 25th January 2018 / 8:39 pm

I’m like you when it comes to choosing what to read next – i f I don’t have something specific in mind then I can feel a bit lost. Although for me it depends on whether it’s going to be a book I own or one from the library, and in that case what they have in that’s on my TBR – or what they have on the shelves that catches my eye, haha.
    Good luck with your reads!

27th January 2018 / 10:08 am

Yes, narrowing down the source is a good place to start! And then….see what happens 🙂