WWW Wednesday (January 10th)

This weekly meme is hosted by Sam at Taking on a World of Words. It’s open to all to participate. Why not join in and let us know what’s on your reading list this week…

Welcome to this week’s WWW Wednesday! I really enjoyed being back in the gang last week and so I’m back this week with a slightly new blog look having switched to self-hosting…exciting times 🙂

I’m reading The Book of Forgotten Authors by Christopher Fowler

I’d started reading this book before Christmas but put it down to read something else.  It’s a really nice book with a touch of the author’s humour!

Absence doesn’t make the heart grow fonder. It makes people think you’re dead.
So begins Christopher Fowler’s foray into the back catalogues and backstories of 99 authors who, once hugely popular, have all but disappeared from shelves.
We are fondly introduced to each potential rediscovery: from lost Victorian voices to the twentieth century writers who could well become the next John Williams, Hans Fallada or Lionel Davidson. Whether male or female, flash-in-the-pan or prolific, mega-seller or prize-winner – no author, it seems, can ever be fully immune from the fate of being forgotten.

I recently finished Mr Dickens and his Christmas Carol by Samantha Silva

If you love A Christmas Carol then you’ll most likely enjoy this version of how it came to be! I did enjoy it but it only held my interest when I had the book in my hand…I didn’t think about it at other times like I do with some books despite its Twist.

Charles Dickens should be looking forward to Christmas. But when his latest book, Martin Chuzzlewit, is a flop, his publishers give him an ultimatum. Either he writes a Christmas book in a month or they will call in his debts and he could lose everything. Dickens has no choice but to grudgingly accept…

I’ve also read The Mistletoe Murder and Other Stories by P.D James

The first two stories in the book are really impressive and I was completely enthralled by them; the level of detail included, the plot and characters even though they were only 40 -50 pages left me just as satisfied as if I’d read a full length novel.  Would definitely like to read more of her books.

P. D. James was frequently commissioned by newspapers and magazines to write a short story for Christmas, and four of the best have been drawn from the archives and published here together for the first time. From the title story about a strained country-house Christmas party, to another about an illicit affair that ends in murder, plus two cases for detective Adam Dalgliesh, these are masterfully atmospheric stories by the acknowledged ‘Queen of Crime’.

What’s up next? Uncommon Type by Tom Hanks

I’ve really enjoyed reading the short stories I have just lately so am continuing with that theme.  I absolutely love Tom Hanks so am really looking forward to this!

A gentle Eastern European immigrant arrives in New York City after his family and his life have been torn apart by his country’s civil war. A man who loves to bowl rolls a perfect game – and then another and then another and then many more in a row until he winds up ESPN’s newest celebrity, and he must decide if the combination of perfection and celebrity has ruined the thing he loves. An eccentric billionaire and his faithful executive assistant venture into America looking for acquisitions and discover a down and out motel, romance and a bit of real life. These are just some of the tales Tom Hanks tells in this first collection of his short stories. They are surprising, intelligent, heart-warming, and, for the millions and millions of Tom Hanks fans, an absolute must-have.

Have you read any of my choices?

1. 10th January 2018 / 8:02 am

I really liked The Book of Forgotten Authors – like you, I enjoyed the humour (especially the bits where he was rude about Dan Brown!). I also loved Mr Dickens and His Carol because A Christmas Carol is a perennial treat in our house. I have Mistletoe Murders on my wishlist as, like you again, I find I’m really getting into short stories more recently. Happy reading!

• bookboodle
      Author
      10th January 2018 / 5:46 pm

Oh I haven’t got to the Dan Brown bit yet so will look forward to that…even though I don’t mind a Dan Brown novel 🙂
      Short stories are good if they’re done well, so these PD James ones are great!

2. 10th January 2018 / 2:14 pm

I’m a little curious about the Tom Hanks book myself! I hope it stands up to your expectations.

My WWW.

• bookboodle
      Author
      10th January 2018 / 5:47 pm

I’ve had it on my shelf for a couple of months but am ready to read it now 🙂
      Thanks for visiting!

• bookboodle
      Author
      10th January 2018 / 5:49 pm

These short stories are the only ones I’ve read. I didn’t love the two Adam Dalgleish stories that were included in the collection though.
      Thanks for visiting!

3. 10th January 2018 / 4:57 pm

I want to read Uncommon Type, as I’m a big fan of Tom Hanks. Thanks for sharing, and here’s MY WWW POST

• bookboodle
      Author
      10th January 2018 / 6:06 pm

I’m really looking forward to it. I’m hoping to hear his voice in the stories 🙂
      Thanks for visiting!

4. 10th January 2018 / 6:32 pm

Ooh, some fab books in your post! I got the Tom Hanks book for Christmas so I’m hoping to read that one soon too, I’ve heard great things about it. I also read Mr Dickens and his Carol recently and really enjoyed it, I love how it was loosely based on Dickens’ life but also weaved in all the elements of A Christmas Carol. I think this might be a book I re-read! I love your new blog look too! 🙂
    Here’s my WWW post: https://rathertoofondofbooks.com/2018/01/10/www-wednesday-10-jan-what-are-you-reading-this-week/

• Lindsay | Bookboodle
      Author
      10th January 2018 / 7:54 pm

Thanks! Great minds think alike 🙂
      I liked the Dickens novel for the same reasons, how you’d be reading about someone and I was like, yep there’s a character right there.

5. 10th January 2018 / 6:54 pm

I am intrigued by Tom Hanks! 🙂 I shall look out for your thoughts!

• Lindsay | Bookboodle
      Author
      10th January 2018 / 7:12 pm

I love his movies so I hope I enjoy this book half as much!
      Thanks for stopping by 🙂

6. 10th January 2018 / 7:08 pm

It’s a book from THE Tom Hanks? Some people are incredibly talented it seems, if he’s written it himself that is. I hope it’s a good read!

• Lindsay | Bookboodle
      Author
      10th January 2018 / 7:14 pm

I know right! THE Tom Hanks! It’s just not fair is it 😉 Good point, I hope he has 🙂

7. mpepper
    10th January 2018 / 8:09 pm

Just finished Eddie Izzard’s memoir Believe Me and am working on Victoria by Daisy Goodwin. But I did just receive Creating Character Arcs by K.M. Weiland, so I’m tempted to veer left and read that before finishing Victoria.

• Lindsay | Bookboodle
      Author
      10th January 2018 / 8:13 pm

I bet Eddie Izzard’s memoirs are a riot! 🙂

• Lindsay | Bookboodle
      Author
      11th January 2018 / 5:27 pm

I know and I haven’t been able to discuss it with anyone else!!! 🙂

8. 11th January 2018 / 1:31 am

I love the sound of all of these titles! I hope you will enjoy your books this week and happy reading

• Lindsay | Bookboodle
      Author
      11th January 2018 / 5:26 pm

Thank you. You too!

9. 11th January 2018 / 6:20 am

I didn’t know about the Tom Hanks book before reading this post. I am definitely intrigued and will look out for your review. Happy reading.

• Lindsay | Bookboodle