WWW Wednesday (January 3rd)

It’s been over a year! since I last participated in a WWW Wednesday and it’s really good to be back and checking out all your reads and recommendations.  I hope to be able to commit to posting every week but it may have to be fortnightly, so we’ll see.  Happy New Year fellow Wednesday-ers 🙂

I’m reading Mr Dickens and his Carol by Samantha Silva

I started this before Christmas but then got sidelined with some other Christmas reading so am now back with this delightful story.  If you’re a fan of A Christmas Carol then this will definitely appeal.

Charles Dickens should be looking forward to Christmas. But when his latest book, Martin Chuzzlewit, is a flop, his publishers give him an ultimatum. Either he writes a Christmas book in a month or they will call in his debts and he could lose everything. Dickens has no choice but to grudgingly accept…

^^Respect for this stunning cover which is so much better in real life ^^

I recently finished Dash and Lily’s Book of Dares by Rachel Cohn and David Levithan

I bought this before Christmas based on another book bloggers recommendation (Ali at I Wuv Books – thanks!).  It’s a fun story of 2 teenagers on the hunt for love over their Christmas holiday.  I loved the setting and the quirky characters.

I’ve left some clues for you. If you want them, turn the page. If you don’t, put the book back on the shelf, please.

At the urge of her lucky-in-love brother, sixteen-year-old Lily has left a red notebook full of dares on her favourite bookshop shelf, waiting for just the right guy to come along and accept. Curious, snarky Dash isn’t one to back down from a challenge – and the Book of Dares is the perfect distraction he’s been looking for.

As they send each other on a scavenger hunt across Manhattan, they’re falling for each other on paper. But finding out if their real selves share their on-page chemistry could be their biggest dare yet….

What’s up next? The Mistletoe Murder and Other Stories by P.D James

This is my next book club read.  I’ve not read any PD James before so should be interesting.

P. D. James was frequently commissioned by newspapers and magazines to write a short story for Christmas, and four of the best have been drawn from the archives and published here together for the first time. From the title story about a strained country-house Christmas party, to another about an illicit affair that ends in murder, plus two cases for detective Adam Dalgliesh, these are masterfully atmospheric stories by the acknowledged ‘Queen of Crime’.

Have you read any of my choices?

1. January 3, 2018 / 8:43 am

I’m so glad to hear you enjoyed Dash and Lily. It’s one of my fave Christmas books but I’m always wary of recommending as it’s not to everyone’s sense of humour. It just makes me smile.

I have been very tempted by Mr Dickens and his Carol. I love reworkings or even just books linked to other books.

• January 3, 2018 / 6:13 pm

Thank you for the recommendation!

It’s quite delightful as you might expect. I don’t know how much is based on truth so will investigate that once I’ve finished.

2. January 3, 2018 / 1:34 pm

I’ve missed you on this meme! I’ve never read a P.D. James but it’s on my 2018 list! I’ve been told to try her older stuff 🙂 Happy reading!

• January 3, 2018 / 6:14 pm

Thank you lovely! I’m expecting it to be of a similar nature and style to Georges Simenon’s Maigret so we’ll see 🙂

• January 3, 2018 / 6:16 pm

That’s exactly how I’m feeling about it too!
      Thanks for visiting and leaving your link – I’ll pop over shortly 🙂

3. January 3, 2018 / 4:21 pm

Mr. Dickens and his Carol looks like a great read. Love the cover too. Dash and Lily have been on my radar for a while, just never gotten around to read it.

• January 3, 2018 / 6:19 pm

Both are obviously seasonal/festive reads but you could read them anytime…or save them for next Christmas 🙂
      Thanks for visiting!

• January 5, 2018 / 8:24 pm

It’s lovely! I think I’ll leave the sequel to next Christmas though 🙂

4. January 3, 2018 / 4:53 pm

I’ve been wanting to read P. D. James, so The Mistletoe Murder looks like a great place to start. Thanks for sharing, and here’s MY WWW POST

• January 3, 2018 / 6:17 pm

It’s something I’ve never read too but probably should have. Thanks for visiting and leaving your link, I’ll be sure to check it out 🙂

5. January 3, 2018 / 7:42 pm

I loved Mr Dickens and His Carol as reading A Christmas Carol is something of a tradition in our house at Christmas. I also added Mistletoe Murders to my wishlist a while back when I saw a great review of it by another blogger.

• January 3, 2018 / 8:00 pm

I’m thinking that if you like A Christmas Carol then you’ll like this as a version of its conception.
      Thanks for visiting! 🙂

6. January 3, 2018 / 8:38 pm

A Christmas Carol is one of my favourite reads of all time so keen on Mr Dickens and his Carol – good for you keeping the Christmas books going into January 😉

• January 3, 2018 / 10:23 pm

To be honest, not really a planned schedule, more due to not having finished before the end of the year 🙂

7. January 3, 2018 / 10:59 pm

Dash and Lilly looks super cute. I’m glad it was a good recommendation. Happy reading and thanks for participating in WWW Wednesday!

• January 5, 2018 / 8:01 pm