My earliest memory of books

I made a list quite some time ago of blogging topics I would, at some point, get around to blogging about, you can see that list here.  As I’ve been lacking review motivation recently I went back to my list for a different type of post.

My earliest memory of books is a visit to my primary school by the author Nina Bawden.  I think I was about 7 or 8 so that would have make it the early 80s.  I can vividly remember the school hall, where the table was positioned at the back by the stage, and a lady sat behind the table.

During her career Nina Bawden wrote 20 books for children as well as for adults, I’ve only read a small share of these books, with these being the ones that I’m confident I’ve read:It’s just such a shame that I have no idea what happened to these books or my signed book.  I moved twice between the ages of 9 and 13 so they must have been left behind or disposed of – gutted!

You can read more about Nina Bawden here.

What’s your earliest memory of books?  If you’re of my age group, do you remember these books?

1. June 6, 2017 / 8:58 am

That’s too bad the books were lost 🙁 My first memory with books, beside HP!, are Daniel Pennac’s Kamo series, nice stories about a little boy seeing the world in a very interesting way 🙂 great post!

• June 10, 2017 / 5:16 pm

It is a shame but that’s life! I think it’s lovely that no matter what age we are, we all have books that we remember fondly which shaped our childhoods 🙂

2. June 6, 2017 / 11:56 am

This is such a sweet post. My earliest memories of books are definitely Roald Dahl books. Specifically The Giraffe and the Pelly and Me – I was off ill at school and read the whole book (32 pages, but for me back then, that was amazing) 😛

• June 10, 2017 / 5:12 pm

I remember having Roald Dahl books too; it’s just fabulous the generations that those books have spanned! Thanks for visiting 🙂

3. June 6, 2017 / 4:31 pm

What a fab earliest memory Lindsay. Our Y6 used Carrie’s War to tie in with the WWII topic for years and only fairly recently replaced it. I enjoyed the movie!

• June 6, 2017 / 8:18 pm

Oh wow, it’s great to hear that it’s still being read in schools! 🙂

4. June 7, 2017 / 12:52 am

I had a beautiful copy of The Water Babies which I loved, among many other books. All were given, without my knowledge, to the local library when we moved when I was 14. I was so, so upset and dreamt about them for years. I totally understand and empathize. Cheryl x

• June 10, 2017 / 5:14 pm

Oh no, that’s heart-breaking! Take small comfort in the many children that will have enjoyed that book 🙂