WWW Wednesday (November 9th)

I’m reading A Place Called Winter by Patrick Gale

This one is our next book club read and although I’m only a few chapters in, it’s off to a promising and interesting start.

a-place-called-winterThe blurb

A shy but privileged elder son, Harry Cane has followed convention at every step. Even the beginnings of an illicit, dangerous affair do little to shake the foundations of his muted existence – until the shock of discovery and the threat of arrest force him to abandon his wife and child and sign up for emigration to Canada.

Remote and unforgiving, his allotted homestead in a place called Winter is a world away from the golden suburbs of turn-of-the-century Edwardian England. And yet it is here, isolated in a seemingly harsh landscape, under the threat of war and madness that the fight for survival will reveal in Harry an inner strength and capacity for love beyond anything he has ever known before

I recently finished Frankenstein by Mary Shelley

In all honesty I was expecting something very different from this book to what it actually was.  From the movies and its reputation I expected a horror movie in a book and it was nothing like this, a little disappointing in that respect.

frankensteinThe blurb

The Uncensored 1818 Edition FRANKENSTEIN; OR, THE MODERN PROMETHEUS, a novel written by the English author Mary Wollstonecraft Shelley about the young science student Victor Frankenstein, who creates a grotesque but sentient creature in an unorthodox scientific experiment.

What’s up next? The Mystery of the Jewelled Moth by Katherine Woodfine

After finishing the first in the Sinclair’s mysteries which I really enjoyed, I picked this one up straight away whilst being in the mood but I put it aside to read Frankenstein over the Halloween weekend and then to read my book club book.  Looking forward to getting back to it.

the-mystery-of-the-jewelled-mothThe blurb

THE HONOUR OF YOUR COMPANY IS REQUESTED AT
LORD BEAUCASTLE’S FANCY DRESS BALL.

Wonder at the puzzling disappearance of the Jewelled Moth! Marvel as our heroines, Sophie and Lil, don cunning disguises, mingle in high society and munch many cucumber sandwiches to solve this curious case! Applaud their bravery as they follow a trail of terrible secrets that leads straight to London’s most dangerous criminal mastermind, and could put their own lives at risk . . .

It will be the most thrilling event of the season!

Have you read any of this week’s choices?

1. November 9, 2016 / 8:21 am

I’ve read one book by Patrick Gale that was very good and that cover for The Jewelled Moth is beautiful 😊

• November 9, 2016 / 8:47 pm

The Jewelled Moth cover is even more pretty and sparkly in real life 😉
      From what I’ve read so far of A Place Called Winter I think it would be perfect for you as it has a Sarah Waters feel to it.

2. November 9, 2016 / 10:19 am

I’ve glad you can get back to The Jewelled Moth 🙂
    I did have my WWW post ready to go for this week, but work has descended again so I’m not sure I’ll get round to it… might have to roll it over to next week!

I can understand why you were expecting something very different from Frankenstein – Hollywood really has taken the story and morphed it into something totally different!

• November 9, 2016 / 8:21 pm

Snap – this post has been sat in drafts since the end of October and has been re-vamped each week!

The story is almost totally unrecognisable to anything I was expecting!

3. November 9, 2016 / 2:02 pm

Sorry you found Frankenstein to be a disappointment! But A Place Called Winter sounds like it will be a good read!
    Happy Reading 🙂

• November 9, 2016 / 8:25 pm

I think A Place Called Winter will turn out to be a 5* read and is for those who enjoy historical novels. Thanks for visiting 🙂

4. November 9, 2016 / 6:52 pm

I found Frankenstein to be a little bit disappointing too. 🙁

5. November 9, 2016 / 9:03 pm

I had the EXACT same reaction when I finished reading Frankenstein. It just isn’t anything like any of the newer Frankenstein adoptations out there… Your book club read sounds interesting though. Happy reading!

• November 12, 2016 / 11:04 am

Unfortunately the reality was nothing like the expectation!
      Have a great week! 🙂

• November 12, 2016 / 11:06 am

There are so many versions of Frankenstein on Amazon, I wasn’t sure what I was really getting in the end either!
      Thanks for visiting 🙂

6. November 10, 2016 / 2:00 am

Great ideas! A Place Called Winter sounds perfect for our Book Club 🙂

7. November 10, 2016 / 2:17 am

I’m sorry you didn’t like Frankenstein. I had only seen Young Frankenstein so I knew it would be nothing like that, haha. (If only it was!) Happy reading and thanks for participating in WWW Wednesday!

• November 12, 2016 / 11:24 am

I haven’t seen any movies, I was just aware of it by reputation and the book is soooo different 🙂

• November 12, 2016 / 4:02 pm

Young Frankenstein is a funny one! I’d give it a go.

8. November 10, 2016 / 5:13 pm

I love the cover for The Mystery of the Jewelled Moth! I have never read Frankenstein or watched the movies. My knowledge on the character and story is so little I could not possibly be disappointed, haha! A Place Called Winter sounds promising, I can’t wait to read your review. Happy reading!

• November 12, 2016 / 11:18 am

You’d probably have a very different reading experience to me then 😉
      Thanks – you have a good week too!

9. November 12, 2016 / 10:23 am

LOVED A Place called Winter. I did plan on reading more of Patrick Gale’s writing and it’s still on the list! Have you read any others Lindsay? Look forward to your thoughts.

Love the cover of The Mystery of the Jewelled Moth!

#TalkoftheTown

• November 12, 2016 / 11:10 am

I’m really enjoying it too and no, I haven’t read any of his others.

The Jewelled Moth cover is very sparkly too 🙂

• November 12, 2016 / 11:26 am

Oh how fickle we are 😀

• November 12, 2016 / 11:37 am

I know…I probably wouldn’t have read this one had it not been a book club read. I would like to read more though 🙂