A very simple recipe that creates a nice effect and tasty cake which I made as a special request for my daughter as she much prefers plain cakes…no icing and no fuss and that’s what we have here!
What you need:
225g softened butter
225g caster sugar
1 tsp vanilla extract
2 tbsp cocoa powder
225g self-raising flour
3 tbsp milk
What you do:
- Heat your oven to 180°c and grease and line a 20cm cake tin with greaseproof paper.
- Put all the ingredients (except the cocoa powder) into a free-standing mixer and mix for 1-2 mins until smooth.
- Divide the mixture between 2 bowls and stir the cocoa powder into the mixture of one of the bowls.
- Dollop alternate spoonfuls of the vanilla and chocolate mixtures into the tin. Use a cocktail stick and swirl it around the mixture in the tin a few times to create the marbled effect.
- Bake the cake for 45-55 mins until a skewer inserted into the centre comes out clean.
- Cool on a wire rack and then serve….yum! Little confession, this was actually my second attempt as the first one didn’t cook properly in the middle.
Until next time….Happy Baking!