WWW Wednesday (August 24th)

It’s been nearly a month since my last WWW post so I’m pleased I found some time at the weekend to prep a post and am looking forward to catching up with what everyone has been reading lately 🙂

I’m reading…

The Wicked Boy by Kate Summerscale

Books that are developed from a snippet of a story, like something you read in an old newspaper, truly fascinate me.  I would love to have the resources and time to dig around in archives and discover stories like this but wouldn’t know where to start.  I went to a Waterstone’s event with Kate Summerscale in May which was just as interesting as her book.

The Wicked BoyThe blurb

Early in the morning of Monday 8 July 1895, thirteen-year-old Robert Coombes and his twelve-year-old brother Nattie set out from their small, yellow-brick terraced house in East London to watch a cricket match at Lord’s. Their father had gone to sea the previous Friday, the boys told their neighbours, and their mother was visiting her family in Liverpool. Over the next ten days Robert and Nattie spent extravagantly, pawning their parents’ valuables to fund trips to the theatre and the seaside. But as the sun beat down on the Coombes house, a strange smell began to emanate from the building.

When the police were finally called to investigate, the discovery they made sent the press into a frenzy of horror and alarm, and Robert and Nattie were swept up in a criminal trial that echoed the outrageous plots of the ‘penny dreadful’ novels that Robert loved to read.

In The Wicked Boy, Kate Summerscale has uncovered a fascinating true story of murder and morality – it is not just a meticulous examination of a shocking Victorian case, but also a compelling account of its aftermath, and of man’s capacity to overcome the past.

I recently finished

The Racketeer by John Grisham

There was a time (pre-book blogging) when I’d read the new Grisham as soon as it was released, unfortunately not a case anymore.  Going through a particularly busy period and a reading and blogging lull I wanted a book that I knew wouldn’t let me down….enter Grisham’s 2012 release!!  Loved it, wasn’t disappointed and read in a couple of days.

The Racketeer

Who is the Racketeer? And what does he have to do with the judge’s untimely demise? His name, for the moment, is Malcolm Bannister. Job status? Former attorney. Current residence? The Federal Prison Camp near Frostburg, Maryland.

On paper, Malcolm’s situation isn’t looking too good these days, but he’s got an ace up his sleeve. He knows who killed Judge Fawcett, and he knows why. The judge’s body was found in his remote lakeside cabin. There was no forced entry, no struggle, just two dead bodies: Judge Fawcett and his young secretary. And one large, state-of-the-art, extremely secure safe, opened and emptied.

What was in the safe? The FBI would love to know. And Malcolm Bannister would love to tell them. But everything has a price—especially information as explosive as the sequence of events that led to Judge Fawcett’s death. And the Racketeer wasn’t born yesterday . . .

I’ve also read

The Moonstone by Wilkie Collins

An interesting read that is best read when you have plenty of time to savour the language and social etiquette.  Review here.

The MoonstoneThe blurb

The Moonstone, a yellow diamond looted from an Indian temple and believed to bring bad luck to its owner, is bequeathed to Rachel Verinder on her eighteenth birthday. That very night the priceless stone is stolen again and when Sergeant Cuff is brought in to investigate the crime, he soon realizes that no one in Rachel’s household is above suspicion.

What’s up next?

In all honesty, who knows.  I don’t really want to make a selection just yet and will see what I fancy when I’ve finished The Wicked Boy.

Outstanding requested ARC’s

arc

Have you read any of this week’s choices?

• 24th August 2016 / 8:21 pm

Thank you..It’s a great read if you enjoy Victorian non-fiction 🙂

1. 24th August 2016 / 9:14 am

I’m really intrigued by Small Great Things. That cover really appeals to me.

2. 24th August 2016 / 9:21 am

Welcome back!
    Great to hear you’ve been enjoying your reading, which I imagine is well-deserved rest time from work 🙂
    I did some charity shop book hauling last week and was inspired by you to pick up Spectacles and a John Grisham (I can’t remember which one… sorry!). Glad to hear he still hasn’t let you down!

Here’s my WWW: https://clairehuston.wordpress.com/2016/08/24/www-wednesday-24th-august-2016/

P.S. Bake Off back tonight!!!

• 24th August 2016 / 8:23 pm

Thank you!
      I still haven’t read my Spectacles…arrgghh
      Do let me know which Grisham it is when you can 🙂

Can’t wait!! Yay

• 24th August 2016 / 9:06 pm

It’s Theodore Boone – the one you said I should try! 🙂 I’m guessing it’s sort of Dougie Hauser, but the kid’s a lawyer?

3. 24th August 2016 / 9:23 am

I remember enjoying The Racketeer as well when I read it a few years back… I used to read his work more often, but somehow I always pick up a different title instead. The Night Stalker is a great read by the way! Happy reading. 🙂

• 24th August 2016 / 8:27 pm

Yeah me too, we just have soooooo much to choose from!
      I’ve actually started The Night Stalker tonight and am hooked already 🙂
      Thank for visiting!

• 25th August 2016 / 6:17 am

Good to hear you’re enjoying it! 🙂

• 24th August 2016 / 8:38 pm

It is exactly that….hours and hours of research collated for your information and enjoyment!

I’d definitely recommend him if you like legal thrillers.

Thanks for visiting today 🙂

4. 24th August 2016 / 12:24 pm

It’s been years since I’ve read a John Grisham. I don’t know why as I always used to enjoy them. Maybe too much of a good thing?

I did get the sampler from NetGalley of his next book The Whistler last week and it was pretty good so maybe I’ll get back into them.

• 24th August 2016 / 8:40 pm

Me too, but since blogging and joining a book club my reading has taken a more varied route.
      I guess if you read one after another you’ll over analyse and compare but it’s been a couple of years since I read one so was good to be in that genre again.
      I’m going to apply for that sampler and see what happens.
      Thanks for visiting 🙂

5. 24th August 2016 / 2:33 pm

I’ve never read a John Grisham. I’ll have to change that. Just finished “Precious Cargo” by Craig Davidson, which was excellent, and I’m now reading “The Tea Planter’s Wife” by Dinah Jefferies.

• 24th August 2016 / 8:42 pm

I 100% recommend A Time to Kill. I’ve not heard of Precious Cargo so will check it out.
      I’ve read The Tea Planter’s Wife too…I hope you enjoy it 🙂

• 25th August 2016 / 1:49 am

Thanks Lindsay. I’ll add A Time To Kill to my list 🙂
        Precious Cargo is Canadian, so I’m not sure how available it is in other countries. I’m enjoying the Tea Planter’s Wife so far.

6. 24th August 2016 / 3:00 pm

I really like the look of Small Great Things. I enjoy Jodi Picoult’s writing! 😀

• 3rd September 2016 / 4:34 pm

Me too; although I’ve only read 3 of her books so far 🙂

7. 24th August 2016 / 5:01 pm

Welcome back on my Wednesday feed! 🙂
    The blurb for The Wicked Boy really sells it! I admire people who turn newspaper snippets into stories, it takes a lot to make it happen. It’s truly fascinating.
    I ordered my first Grisham today! I went with The Firm, I should be reading it very soon.
    I say yes to Anne Tyler! I can’t wait for the library to reopen so I can get another of her books. I have a Picoult on my TBR, I don’t know what to expect, but her name often comes up so it’s a good sign!
    Happy reading 🙂
    Here’s my post https://chocolatenwafflesblog.wordpress.com/2016/08/24/this-week-in-books-august-24th-2016/

• 24th August 2016 / 8:45 pm

Thank you!
      Sounds like you’d enjoy The Wicked Boy too 🙂
      Oh I have The Firm too…I’ve not read it but have seen the movie which is also very good!
      I’ve never read Anne Tyler before so glad to hear you recommend her.

8. 24th August 2016 / 5:27 pm

I love all of these covers! The Wicked Boy sounds so interesting. Happy reading 😀

9. 24th August 2016 / 8:12 pm

Never heard of The Racketeer but it does sound wonderful! I think it’s not so famous as his other novels, what a shame. Jody Picoult and Robert Bryndza are really great authors too.

10. 24th August 2016 / 8:47 pm

No it’s probably not as well known but it’s still a very good read.
    I’m reading the Robert Bryndza now which has me gripped already!
    Thanks for visiting 🙂

11. 24th August 2016 / 9:21 pm

The Wicked Boy definitely sounds like something I’d love to read! I’ll have to check it out for sure!
    The Moonstone’s been on my shelf for a while, and I keep avoiding it because I feel like it’s a book that needs the right amount of time devoted to it. I’ll keep that in mind before I pick it up!
    Happy Reading 🙂

• 3rd September 2016 / 4:36 pm

If you enjoy Victorian dramas then The Wicked Boy is one you’d enjoy. The level of research is incredible.
      You definitely need to devote some time to The Moonstone, it’s not really a quick read 🙂

12. 25th August 2016 / 3:41 am

I’m glad you enjoyed the new Grisham. I’ve been getting to favorite authors’ releases late as well. Happy reading and thanks for participating in WWW Wednesday!

• 3rd September 2016 / 4:37 pm