A few months ago at book club my friend made a crumble cake. By her own admission it was something she’d thrown together with no real thought or planning but it was a lovely cake so here’s my version of it.
What you need:
For the crumble
120g plain flour
60g caster sugar
60g unsalted butter at room temperature, diced
For the sponge
200g self raising flour
175g caster sugar
1 tsp vanilla essence
150 – 200g raspberries or alternative berries
What you do:
- Grease and line a square 20 cm tin
- Start by making the crumble mix – tip the flour and sugar into a bowl and rub in the butter to make it into a breadcrumb texture. Set aside.
- Make the sponge mix – using a freestanding mixer, beat all the ingredients together into a smooth mixture; my estimate was 2-3 minutes.
- Tip the mixure into the prepared tin, and spread in the raspberries.
- Spread over the crumble mix to cover all the sponge mix and raspberries.
- Bake for approx 45 – 50 minutes.
- When cool, cut into squares and serve.
This is really yummy served with clotted cream and some fresh raspberries on the side.
Until next time…..Happy Baking!