Phone Box Libraries

Last week when I was on holiday on the Isle of Wight I came across a mini library in an old telephone box in the village of Whitwell.

I was aware that this was a thing but had never actually seen or visited one myself so was really pleased to be able to stop and have a look at their collection.ย  They had a good selection of books and magazines that had been donated and lots of other information on local attractions.

I did fancy The Bone Clocks but didn’t have a book to swapย or leave so didn’t take it.

Whitwell Library

As more and more libraries unfortunately are subjectedย to reduced hours, or close due to funding cuts maybe we’ll see more of these pop up in rural villages where the community still wants to share their love of reading.

Have you visited a phone box library or do you have one where you live?

Share your bookish posts and news with #TalkoftheTown

Talk of the Town

1. July 21, 2016 / 10:26 am

These are amazing! ๐Ÿ™‚ Wish Finland would have ones!

• July 23, 2016 / 10:04 am

Maybe you could look into starting one….it doesn’t have to be in an old telephone box…I believe people use all kinds of things and even put them at the end of their gardens ๐Ÿ™‚

• July 23, 2016 / 1:34 pm

That would be fun! ๐Ÿ™‚

2. July 21, 2016 / 11:07 am

Reblogged this on Pink Cobwebs and commented:
    I absolutely LOVE this idea!!! ๐Ÿ™‚

• July 23, 2016 / 10:01 am

I love that it’s all lit up and how thoughtful of him to think of you ๐Ÿ™‚

3. July 21, 2016 / 1:45 pm

Oooh I want that! I did not know phone box libraries were a thing.
    It saddens me to see rural libraries closed or on the brink of it. The village my mom lives in has one, but it’s only opened 2hours every Friday afternoon, and closed for all holidays.

• July 23, 2016 / 10:14 am

It seems communities are using all kinds of places for book shares and swaps…maybe you could have a go at setting one up with your mum ๐Ÿ™‚

4. July 21, 2016 / 7:27 pm

We have a TON of these all over town, called Little Free Libraries. They’re in people’s yards, outside public buildings, everywhere, and I always look in them for surprises and stuff. Great post, hope to see you visiting my blog today!

• July 23, 2016 / 10:05 am

Such a brilliant and creative way to share books! Thanks for visiting ๐Ÿ™‚

5. July 22, 2016 / 12:59 am

That is awesome! We don’t have phone boxes here, but some people do put bookcases on their front lawns for book swaps. I love that people are finding creative ways to reuse books ๐Ÿ™‚

• July 23, 2016 / 10:07 am

It’s great isn’t it…very community spirited!
      It also clears our bookshelves inside the house to fill with more books ๐Ÿ˜‰

6. July 25, 2016 / 8:22 am

This is so cool! I saw something similar in Boston when I was visiting, I found it so cute! I have to confess I took a book that sounded really cool but didn’t have any books with me to swap. I’ll have to go back one day to pay “my debt”. I wish people would do it too here in Germany!
    Alba in Bookland

• July 27, 2016 / 9:45 pm

That’s a good reason to go back!
      Maybe you should start a new trend in Germany ๐Ÿ™‚

7. July 27, 2016 / 3:36 am

This is amazing! I’ve never seen one and I don’t know if there are any where I am but I’d love to live near one โ˜บ๏ธ it’s such an awesome idea

• July 27, 2016 / 9:48 pm

It is such a good idea isn’t it….it’d would be great if more and more people would set them up ๐Ÿ™‚

8. July 27, 2016 / 9:42 pm

I haven’t seen one of these before, but I have seen book swaps at train stations. It’s a great idea, especially for unused phone boxes, I think this idea will catch on.
    Amanda

9. July 27, 2016 / 10:02 pm

I hope so! It seems that in the States they have little libraries at the end of their gardens too. How quaint!! ๐Ÿ™‚