WWW Wednesday (July 6th)

It’s been a couple of weeks now since my last confession…..no, no, no since my last WWW Wednesday :0

Life has been pretty hectic and in all honesty I fell out of love with my blogging for a short while.  I often feel like I’m doing the same thing, all the time and I got a bit bored.  So I may just participate in WWW when I feel like I have something worthwhile to contribute rather than just going through the motions each week.  I’m away on holiday next week and then I start my new job so busy busy….

If you wanna check out the blurbs, click the images 🙂

I’m reading…

Waterland

Waterland by Graham Swift
Our book club read for June and the actual look of the book just filled me with dread.  Page after page of small heavy black type with no breaks. A book that you put off reading because you think it’ll take months to read.  Shame it was filled with huge chunks of boringness about river beds and how silt works.  We meet this evening to discuss and I’m not sure if I’ll finish it.

I recently finished

A Stitch in Time

I Hunt Killers

An Unfamiliar Murder

A Stitch in Time by Amanda James
An enjoyable rom-com with the twist of time travel.  I preferred the historical parts more than the present day scenes.  Some of the rom was just a little too fluffy for me but a fun read nonetheless.

I Hunt Killers by Barry Lyga
I wanted a book that would excite me so I ditched my planned read of All Things Cease to Appear and picked up I Hunt Killers instead.  Thanks to Claire at Art & Soul for the recommendation and the actual book.  A very good read if you’re into serial killers.  Reminded me of the John Grisham Theodore Boone series due to the explaining and the fact that the protagonist is 17 and manages to get himself included in murder investigation…..whaaaaatttt?

An Unfamiliar Murder by Jane Isaac
I met Jane at an author/blogger meet up back in March and she very kindly sent me her first book for review and I’m pleased to say I really enjoyed it. If you liked The Girl in the Ice and Someone Else’s Skin then this is another you should enjoy.

What’s up next?

murder-at-the-vicarageThe Storied Life of AJ Fikry

The Murder at the Vicarage by Agatha Christie
The book that first introduces us to Miss Marple and a book that I started recently but put down to finish something else so will be glad to get back to it.

The Storied Life of AJ Fikry by Gabrielle Zevin
A book that has been on my radar for a while and I picked up a copy only recently. This will be my holiday read next week.  I might be able to squeeze in another book but I’m not sure how much reading time I’ll have.

Have you read any of this week’s choices? Got any holiday recommendations?

Also, just out of interest, do you like to see the blurb in the post above, or would you click the cover to find out more?

Thanks for getting to the bottom…it’s been a very busy post! xx

Advertisements

24 thoughts on “WWW Wednesday (July 6th)

1. Claire | Art and Soul says:

I hope your last week at work is going well and they are providing cake. If there’s no cake, then you can take that as another sign you were right to leave! 🙂

Yes, it is implausible that they’d let a 17-year old “civilian” help in a murder investigation. Particularly when he’s probably a good suspect! But still, highly entertaining stuff!

All I saw was the cover of Waterland and I thought, “Ugh! That looks cheery!”. Sorry to hear it’s been such a slog.

Here’s my WWW: https://clairehuston.wordpress.com/2016/07/06/www-wednesday-6th-july-2016/

Liked by 1 person

• Lindsay | Bookboodle says:

It’s going quite slow…I just want my holiday!!! And it’ll be me providing the cake, once I decide what I’ve time to do….arrgghhhh
      Well, they’d be no story if they didn’t let him help out and I appreciate that but……yeah it was a good read. When you reading the next one then??? lol

Liked by 1 person

• Claire | Art and Soul says:

YOU have to provide the cake?!?!?! What?!?!?
        In that case, buy one from your local supermarket! You’re far too busy to be making one.

I got the last 2 installments of the I Hunt Killers series from my library. This was probably a good thing because I didn’t think they were quite as brilliant as book 1 (still 4-star reads though). I think this is just me though, as everyone else I know who’s read them think the books get better and better… me being weird again!

Liked by 1 person

• Lindsay | Bookboodle says:

Sometimes life just gets in the way…at least there’s no pressure and we can just dip in and out when we can!! Really looking forward to AJ Fikry as it’s been on my radar for such a long time.
      Popping over to your post now; thanks for visiting 🙂

Liked by 1 person

2. Donna says:

As a true slacker, I like having the blurb attached to the cover, so I don’t have to click and check Goodreads 🙂

I totally understand your little blogging slump. I’ve been postponing writing reviews because I feel like I’m repeating myself all the time.

I was thinking about holiday recommendations last night, but I failed at making a list for myself. I can’t decide what genre I want to read when on vacation.

Waterland was one of the first books I borrowed from the library. I could not bring myself to finish it. Boring is the perfect word for it. I could not stand any more prose about the water. I wanted to drown the book in the bath.
    The Theodore Boone series is somewhere on my kindle. I haven’t had time to get to Grisham yet. A 17-year-old involved in a murder investigation? Only in books or TV shows!
    I just checked An Unfamiliar Murder and it sounds very good. Another one to add to my wishlist!

Happy reading!

Liked by 1 person

• Lindsay | Bookboodle says:

Love your comments Donna; always so responsive and well thought out! I like reading posts with the blurb included too 🙂
      OMG I’m so glad you agree with me on Waterland…what a total waste of reading time. I’ve read about 120 pages and the last few chapters, just tortuous!

Liked by 1 person

3. laurelrainsnow says:

I have The Storied Life of A.J. Fikry on my Kindle…just waiting. I must grab it soon, right? I also love the look of An Unfamiliar Murder.

Enjoy your reading…and I understand what you’re saying about blogging. I have to stave off boredom by constantly changing up my blog, snapping photos to share, etc.

Here’s MY WWW POST

4. Yvo says:

Barry Lyga!!! I love LOVE the Jasper Dent series; it’s without doubt one of my all time favorites. The first book is still my favorite, but the sequels are definitely worth reading as well. And I have been saying for months I need to read more Agatha Christie books… The Murder At The Vicarage sounds like a great place to start. I hope you will enjoy your books this week and enjoy your holiday!