WWW Wednesday (June 8th)

Hello fellow WWWers, I have book club this evening after work so I’ll do my best to catch up with your posts and comments later tonight or tomorrow. Have a lovely day πŸ™‚

β€’ What are you currently reading?
β€’ What did you recently finish reading?
β€’ What do you think you’ll read next?

I’m reading…

The Safe Word by Karen Long

I met Karen at an author/blogger meet up in March and I’m finally starting her book that she offered me for review.

The Safe Word Karen LongThe blurb

There are rules that every player of every game must abide by, no matter how dangerous the sport.

Toronto has become the backdrop to a macabre set of artistic installations: women kidnapped, tortured and horrifically displayed by a killer with a vision.

Only someone capable of understanding the killer’s creative desire will be able to stop the murders and D I Eleanor Raven is uniquely qualified. Driven by a complex personality she pursues only the facts, only the things she can see, but never casts a judgement.

But she also has a dark and dangerous secret – one that will threaten her very survival.

I recently finished

My Name is Leon by Kit de Waal

I think this is one the saddest books I’ve ever read. Shoved from pillar to post Leon hasn’t had the greatest start in his nine years of life, I hoped and prayed for a happy ending because I just wanted to adopt him! Maureen, his foster carer is a lovely woman who reminds me of Sheila from The A-Z of You and Me (another must read!).

My Name is LeonThe blurb

A brother chosen. A brother left behind. And a family where you’d least expect to find one.

Leon is nine, and has a perfect baby brother called Jake. They have gone to live with Maureen, who has fuzzy red hair like a halo, and a belly like Father Christmas. But the adults are speaking in low voices, and wearing Pretend faces. They are threatening to give Jake to strangers. Since Jake is white and Leon is not.

As Leon struggles to cope with his anger, certain things can still make him smile – like Curly Wurlys, riding his bike fast downhill, burying his hands deep in the soil, hanging out with Tufty (who reminds him of his dad), and stealing enough coins so that one day he can rescue Jake and his mum.

Evoking a Britain of the early eighties, My Name is Leon is a heart-breaking story of love, identity and learning to overcome unbearable loss. Of the fierce bond between siblings. And how – just when we least expect it – we manage to find our way home.

I also finished Bite by Nick Louth

Despite not wanting to like this book because of its arrogant strapline I did rather like it.Β  Fast-paced, gritty, shocking and absurd in places kind of do make for a gripping thriller (God I hate myself for saying that!!) πŸ˜‰

Bite Nick LouthThe blurb

Tomorrow should be the greatest day of Erica Stroud-Jones’s life. In just 24 hours this brilliant young scientist will present her secret work to a conference in Amsterdam – research that promises to revolutionise the battle against a deadly tropical disease. Millions of lives could be saved; a Nobel Prize beckons.

Arriving to watch her are sceptics and rivals, admirers and enemies. Erica’s own eyes will be on sculptor Max Carver, her American new love to whom she will dedicate her achievement.

Tomorrow never comes.

Erica vanishes during the night. Max, desperate, terrified, sets out to find her, descending into an underworld full of malice and cunning. But even he is shocked by the dark terror he finds in the heart of the woman he loves.

Β What’s up next?

A Stitch in Time by Amanda James

I worked out a few weeks ago that this book has been on my TBR the longest so I was aiming to read it in the following 2 months.Β  I was after a lighter read following a murder thriller so this should tick the box.

A Stitch in Time

Sarah Yates is a thirty-something history teacher, divorced, disillusioned and desperate to have more excitement in her life. Making all her dreams come true seems about as likely as climbing Everest in stilettos.

Then one evening the doorbell rings and the handsome and mysterious John Needler brings more excitement than Sarah could ever have imagined. John wants Sarah to go back in time …

Sarah is whisked from the Sheffield Blitz to the suffragette movement in London to the Old American West, trying to make sure people find their happy endings. The only question is, will she ever be able to find hers?

Have you read any of this week’s choices?

1. 8th June 2016 / 8:43 am

Ooh I have My Name is Leon to read – I will make sure I have my hankies at the ready

• 9th June 2016 / 2:39 pm

I didn’t cry but it definitely pulls on your heart strings!

2. 8th June 2016 / 10:06 am

Just reading the blurb I can tell that My Name is Leon would have me crying the whole way through!
    I still can’t get over “The Most Gripping Thriller You’ll Ever Read”! It would be like putting “Better than Pride and Prejudice” on the front of a romance novel. At least it turned out to be gripping, if not the most gripping book ever πŸ™‚

Here’s my WWW: https://clairehuston.wordpress.com/2016/06/08/www-wednesday-8th-june-2016/

• 9th June 2016 / 2:39 pm

Yeah not sure it would be for you, especially after Dear Dad!

We discussed that strapline at book club last night and decided that yes it was incredibly arrogant, although a very clever piece of marketing as it has got people talking about it πŸ˜‰

3. Julie's Book Cave
    8th June 2016 / 12:09 pm

I’d love to read my name is Leon. Sounds like I’ll have to have my hankies handy too! We’ll all be blubbing.

• 9th June 2016 / 2:40 pm

I found it emotional more than tearful but probably would affect different readers in different ways!
      Thanks for visiting and commenting πŸ™‚

• 10th June 2016 / 3:14 pm

It is..one of those you can hear yourself saying “different times” all the way through!
      Thanks for visiting and commenting πŸ™‚

4. 8th June 2016 / 4:10 pm

Oh, A Stitch in Time looks very tempting. I’ve also been eyeing The Safe Word. Enjoy! Here’s MY WWW POST

• 9th June 2016 / 2:54 pm

I’m about 25% into The Safe Word and it’s ok as murder thrillers go. Not blown away yet though!
      Thanks for visiting and commenting πŸ™‚

• 9th June 2016 / 2:55 pm

It’s such a good read isn’t it. I read it really quickly too πŸ™‚

5. 8th June 2016 / 5:50 pm

I have added The Safe Word to my wishlist recently myself; it sounds like a really good thriller. I hope you will enjoy it! πŸ™‚

• 9th June 2016 / 2:48 pm

It’s good! Similar in style I think to The Girl in the Ice πŸ˜‰

• 9th June 2016 / 9:28 pm

That’s great to hear! I’m definitely going to try and get a copy soon because I really enjoyed that book. (I need a copy of the The Girl In The Ice sequel as well…) πŸ˜‰

6. 8th June 2016 / 7:16 pm

I won’t be reading My Name is Leon. Nope, no sad stories! I’m short on tissues because hubby is sick,haha! That tagline would have made me cringe and second guess my choice. I’m relieved it turned out to be a good story. I like the idea of a history teacher traveling time, it adds a different edge to the well-known and used traveling idea.
    Happy reading!

• 10th June 2016 / 3:13 pm

It didn’t make me cry but it sure is sad!
      That tagline is arrogant but clever marketing….I’m sure buyers would pick it up and buy it just so they could prove the author wrong..but kerching there’s a sale!

• 9th June 2016 / 2:58 pm

Yep, am off to a solid start but yet to be amazed πŸ˜‰
      Thanks for stopping by and commenting!

• 9th June 2016 / 3:00 pm

We sure do! It was more that I didn’t want to like it and wanted to rip it apart lol
      Thanks for visiting and commenting πŸ™‚

7. 9th June 2016 / 7:39 am

My Name is Leon sounds utterly heartwrenching. After that and The Safe Word you definitely need something lighter!

• 9th June 2016 / 3:04 pm

I do…I’ve read a lot of thrillers lately so looking forward to something light πŸ™‚

8. 9th June 2016 / 4:37 pm

Ooh, A Stitch in Time sounds fascinating. I hope it’s as good as the blurb makes it sound.