WWW Wednesday (May 25th)

I’m reading…

When He Fell by Kate Hewitt

I had hoped to have finished this by the time I posted but it wasn’t to be. Simply told yet captivating from early on, I like this book for its authenticity; one of the parents has proper financial issues which she’s stressing about which make it more realistic rather than just having the cash to throw at a problem.   The blurb gives too much away for my liking because I haven’t got to the second tragedy yet but am waiting for it…I hope it’s not a big anti-climax when it happens!

when he fellThe blurb

Josh and Ben are nine years old and best friends, until a single, careless act in the school playground destroys the lives of both families – and wrenches their small Manhattan school apart.

As both mothers Maddie and Joanna try to find out what really happened between the boys, they discover the truth is far more complicated and painful than either of them could have ever realised… with lasting repercussions for both families.

And when tragedy strikes again in the most unexpected of ways, the lives of these two women will be changed once more, and this time forever.

I recently finished

Jane Steele by Lyndsay Faye

I somewhat surprised myself with this one…it took about 75 or so pages to get into it but then I have to say I really enjoyed it and would definitely recommend. You don’t need to have read Jane Eyre to enjoy this (as I haven’t)…there are references to it and I suspect comparable events/themes but if you like books set in the Victorian era, boarding schools, mysteries and murder then I think you’ll like this.

Jane SteeleThe blurb

Like the heroine of the novel she adores, Jane Steele suffers cruelly at the hands of her aunt and schoolmaster. And like Jane Eyre, they call her wicked – but in her case, she fears the accusation is true. When she flees, she leaves behind the corpses of her tormentors.

A fugitive navigating London’s underbelly, Jane rights wrongs on behalf of the have-nots whilst avoiding the noose. Until an advertisement catches her eye. Her aunt has died and the new master at Highgate House, Mr Thornfield, seeks a governess. Anxious to know if she is Highgate’s true heir, Jane takes the position and is soon caught up in the household’s strange spell. When she falls in love with the mysterious Charles Thornfield, she faces a terrible dilemma: can she possess him – body, soul and secrets – and what if he discovers her murderous past?

What’s up next?

My Husband’s Wife by Jane Corry

I was offered this proof copy back in March and with the Kindle edition being published this week it’s time I picked it up.

My Husband's WifeThe blurb

It’s the perfect love story.

Lily meets Ed at a party, and on their second date, he proposes. She’s a lawyer, he’s an up-and-coming artist. They own a small but beautiful flat in London and mix with all the right people.

But Lily has a secret. Something from her past, that is soon to collide with her present. And she thinks her new husband is hiding something too…

The vows they made will soon be tested to the very limits.

‘Till death us do part…’

Have you read any of this week’s choices?

1. 25th May 2016 / 8:22 am

I read My Husband’s Wife last week and really enjoyed it!

2. 25th May 2016 / 9:01 am

I read When He Fell recently and really enjoyed it, but I agree the book description does give way to much of the story X

3. 25th May 2016 / 10:20 am

I totally had it in my head that Jane Steele was actually set in the present day, though some aspects of the plot make far more sense now I know it’s actually Victorian. This actually makes it a bit more appealing, I have to say. When He Fell and My Husband’s Wife both sound really intriguing, so I’ll keep an eye out for your thoughts.

Here’s my post this week: https://keysandopenmind.wordpress.com/2016/05/25/wippet-and-www-wednesday-25-may-2016/

• 25th May 2016 / 10:58 am

I was also glad that it had been kept in the Victorian era. I’d read a retelling of Sense & Sensibility by Joanna Trollope for The Austen Project and it was set in modern times and for me, it just didn’t work.

4. 25th May 2016 / 12:46 pm

I also don’t like it when blurbs tell you too much – especially when it says there’s a massive twist – it always ends up being a let down!

• 25th May 2016 / 2:32 pm

Exactly…you spend the whole book waiting for it, it happens and then you’re like…urgh is that it?
      In my humble opinion there was no need for that last sentence to be there in the blurb, I should have left it off! 🙁

• 25th May 2016 / 2:30 pm

Thank you…mine’s a review copy too. I accidentally caught sight of some reviews last night on Goodreads and someone had given it 1* – hope they’re in the minority :/

5. 25th May 2016 / 1:48 pm

I don’t like blurbs that talk too much. I like the sound of Jane Steele but I wasn’t sure it would be for me. Now that I know you’ve enjoyed it, I’m adding it to my to-buy list. I’ll wait a little more before getting it because at the moment if a book doesn’t grab my attention from the first pages, I get bored. I’m in a “no patience whatsoever” mode.
    Happy reading!

• 25th May 2016 / 2:37 pm

I can imagine it’s quite difficult to write a blurb but less is more in my very humble opinion 🙂

6. 25th May 2016 / 4:01 pm

I’m hoping to read The Husband’s Wife within the next week or so too! I hope you enjoy your reading. 🙂

7. 25th May 2016 / 5:28 pm

This is the second time I’ve seen My Husband’s Wife today. Hope you enjoy it. Happy reading and thanks for participating in WWW Wednesday!

8. 25th May 2016 / 5:51 pm

I really, really want to read When He Fell – liking your other choices too – I’ve just finished My Husband’s Wife – great story and sure to be a big hit!

• 25th May 2016 / 7:30 pm

Yeah I think you’d like When He Fell, it’s not amazing but a good read nonetheless.
      Looking forward to My Husband’s Wife – even the title intrigues me because surely my husband’s wife would be me…..but I’m assuming not 😉

• 25th May 2016 / 8:39 pm

Haha – yes you’ll work out what that title means very soon!

9. 26th May 2016 / 10:09 pm

So glad to hear that you enjoyed Jane Steele! I cannot wait to read it myself now 🙂
    Happy Reading <3

10. 27th May 2016 / 4:46 am

I love the When He Fell cover. You had a great reading week 🙂

11. 27th May 2016 / 8:35 pm

I always hate it when a blurb gives away too much of the story… I hope the plot twist in When He Fell didn’t disappoint you. And I’m definitely going to try and read Jane Steele soon. Happy reading!

• 2nd June 2016 / 7:12 pm

Fortunately it wasn’t was I thought it would be so that was a pleasant surprise 🙂

• 2nd June 2016 / 8:46 pm

That’s great to hear! 🙂

12. 27th May 2016 / 9:06 pm

Ooh! Jane Steele does sound good! I’ll have to put it on my wish list! Thanks! I’m currently reading Lady Susan by Jane Austen. It’s good!

Have a great week! 🙂

• 2nd June 2016 / 7:12 pm

I’m ashamed to say I’ve not read any of Jane Austen’s novels…I hope you enjoy it 🙂