Chatty post: what book has been on your TBR the longest?

And why haven’t you read it yet?

If you’re anything like me you tend to pick up the books that are new, that you need to read for a blog tour or because they’re books that everyone’s reading and you can’t wait.

Cleo at Cleopatra Loves Books prompted this discussion post because she recently posted that she’d be reading a book from her Kindle from 2012.Β  There was a time that I’d be able to buy a book, read it straight away and then get another…those days are long gone my book blogger friends πŸ˜‰

From June 2013, I think the book that has been on my to be read shelf the longest is:

A Stitch in Time

A stitch in time saves nine… or does it? Sarah Yates is a thirty something history teacher, divorced, disillusioned and desperate to have more excitement in her life. Making all her dreams come true seems about as likely as climbing Everest in stilettos.

Then one evening the door bell rings and the handsome and mysterious John Needler brings more excitement than Sarah could ever have imagined. John wants Sarah to go back in time…

Sarah is whisked from the Sheffield Blitz to the suffragette movement in London to the Old American West, trying to make sure people find their happy endings. The only question is, will she ever be able to find hers?

And I’m going to promote it to my bedside table for reading in the next 6 weeks (OMG the pressure!)

Tell me…what book has been on your book shelf the longest?

Advertisements

23 thoughts on “Chatty post: what book has been on your TBR the longest?

1. Claire | Art and Soul says:

I like the sound of A Stitch in Time! πŸ™‚
    I was thinking about this last night, looking at the first few books on my Goodreads TBR and thinking about deleting them. The book that’s been there the longest is Every Last Word by Tamara Ireland Stone. I think the main reason I haven’t got to it, or some of the others on the front page, is because my library doesn’t have them. I’d rather get books from my TBR that my library has or, as you say, have just come out/you get from Netgalley and feel obliged to read quickly!

Liked by 3 people

• Lindsay | Bookboodle says:

I don’t have a Goodreads TBR (can’t imagine how long it would take to add them all now) so I had to look at my physical books and try and date when I’d bought/received them…fortunately your Amazon account has the books downloaded dated so I could see A Stitch in Time pre-dated my paperbacks.

Liked by 1 person

2. gargoylebruce says:

Mine’s The Damned Busters by Matthew Hughes. It was purchased in May 2012. I stopped reading it about a third of the way through back then, but still felt I might give it another go sometime…I’m hoping to either get it finished this year as part of the Mount TBR Reading Challenge, or else make the decision to pass on it!

Liked by 1 person

3. brmaycock says:

I have three that jump out: Me before you by Jo Jo Moyes, To Kill a Mockingbird by Harper Lee and Elizabeth is Missing by Emma Healy. Simply it’s that I’m quite impulsive in terms of buying books online for my Kindle and so I see a special offer on something I’ve seen around and off I go and then I start reading it that night. This kind of works for newer books but leaves others to the side. Add the lure of Netgalley and review requests and I forget about those I’ve always wanted to read. Oh and they’re the three books I really want to sit and devour, no distractions. I’ve actually started a facebook reading challenge just with the intention of reading books that have fallen by the wayside and I really will (honest!;))

Liked by 1 person

• Lindsay | Bookboodle says:

Good luck in your challenge! You could always post a link here to the FB post and see if anyone else will take part…
      Those 3 books you mention are all very good books. TKAM is one of my all time favourites and the only book I’ve read multiple times πŸ™‚

Liked by 1 person

• brmaycock says:

Will search out that link:) Everyone I know adores TKAMB and it’s one of those ‘what, you haven’t read it?’ ones. Actually I’m guilty of holding off on a lot of the classics, they’re either on the bookshelf or sitting on my Kindle. It’s just they don’t ‘match’ my blog and so I forget about them!

Liked by 1 person

4. Donna says:

I quit the “buys a book, reads it straight away, buys another” circle only recently. If my list is correct, the book that has been waiting forever for me to read it is Never Let Me Go, by Kazuo Ishiguro. I had bought it because I was not able to read in Japanese at that level yet, but I was curious about Japanese literature. Then I went to Japan and came back with no more interest for the language or the country and it stayed on my shelf.

Liked by 2 people

• Donna says:

Sometimes it makes me sad to think I’ve spent three years studying nights and days to achieve fluency in Japanese, only to give up. Especially when I look at those books I can no longer read. Then I take a look at my English TBR and I forget, haha. I heard friends say it was a weird movie too. The book is probably gonna gather dust on my shelf another couple of years!

Liked by 1 person

• brmaycock says:

‘came back with no more interest for the language or the country’ -there’s a book in that phrase alone!!! Fair dues to you for learning japanese at any level, can I ask in my horrific ignorance is it as difficult as chinese with all the different sounds(husband tried to learn it a few years ago and found it wasn’t suited to him)?

Liked by 1 person

5. chebandbecky says:

I like the sound of A Stitch in Time too. The book on my TBR list the longest is Jazz by Toni Morrison. I had read all her books up to that one, but I stopped. I am ashamed to say I have had it for 15 years!

Liked by 1 person