WWW Wednesday (May 11th)

Fellow WWWers, I have a hospital appointment this morning, then work and book club this evening. I promise to catch up with your posts tonight or most likely tomorrow. WWW on a Thursday, whatever next ๐Ÿ˜‰

To join in, just answer the following three questionsโ€ฆ
โ€ข What are you currently reading?
โ€ข What did you recently finish reading?
โ€ข What do you think youโ€™ll read next?

I’m reading…

The Swimming Pool by Louise Candlish

At the point of drafting this post I’m about 200 pages in and there’s this sense of foreboding and the novel is already hinting that something terrible is about to happen. I love Louise Candlish’s writing in this novel, so atmospheric…just like the cover!

The Swimming PoolThe blurb

It’s summer when Elm Hill lido opens, having stood empty for years. For Natalie Steele – wife, mother, teacher – it offers freedom from the tightly controlled routines of work and family. Especially when it leads her to Lara Channing, a charismatic former actress with a lavish bohemian lifestyle, who seems all too happy to invite Natalie into her elite circle.

Soon Natalie is spending long days at the pool, socializing with new friends and basking in a popularity she didn’t know she’d been missing. Real life, and the person she used to be, begins to feel very far away.

But is such a change in fortunes too good to be true? Why are dark memories of a summer long ago now threatening to surface? And, without realizing, could Natalie have been swept dangerously out of her depth?

I recently finished 2 books

The Light Between Oceans by M.L. Stedman

This was our book club read for April which was my choice. I picked it based on Claire’s (Art & Soul) recommendation and I wasn’t disappointed.ย  Almost had me in tears at the end!

The Light Between OceansThe blurb

A boat washes up on the shore of a remote lighthouse keeper’s island. It holds a dead man – and a crying baby. The only two islanders, Tom and his wife Izzy, are about to make a devastating decision.
They break the rules and follow their hearts. What happens next will break yours.

I also finished See How They Run by Tom Bale

Loved this book, so much so, that I made it my second 5* read of the year!ย  Perfect if you love tense ‘what would you do?’ thrillers,

See How They RunThe blurb

In the dead of night, new parents Alice and Harry French are plunged into their worst nightmare when they wake to find masked men in their bedroom. Men ruthless enough to threaten their baby daughter, Evie.

This is no burglary gone wrong.
The intruders know who theyโ€™re looking for โ€“ a man called Edward Renshaw.
And they are prepared to kill to get to him.

When the men leave empty handed, little do Alice and Harry realise that their nightmare is just beginning. Is it a case of mistaken identity? Who is Renshaw? And what is he hiding?

One thing is clear โ€“ they already know too much.

As Alice and Harry are separated in the run for their lives, there is no time for breathe in their fight to be reunited. And with their attackers closing in, there is only a choice:

STAY ALIVE. OR DONโ€™T.

ย What’s up next?

Jane Steele byย Lyndsay Faye

I’ve never read Jane Eyre and believe this novel is a retelling.ย  I’m not usually a fan of messing around with originals but I was intrigued by this one so requested through Bookbridgr.

Jane SteeleThe blurb

Like the heroine of the novel she adores, Jane Steele suffers cruelly at the hands of her aunt and schoolmaster. And like Jane Eyre, they call her wicked – but in her case, she fears the accusation is true. When she flees, she leaves behind the corpses of her tormentors.

A fugitive navigating London’s underbelly, Jane rights wrongs on behalf of the have-nots whilst avoiding the noose. Until an advertisement catches her eye. Her aunt has died and the new master at Highgate House, Mr Thornfield, seeks a governess. Anxious to know if she is Highgate’s true heir, Jane takes the position and is soon caught up in the household’s strange spell. When she falls in love with the mysterious Charles Thornfield, she faces a terrible dilemma: can she possess him – body, soul and secrets – and what if he discovers her murderous past?

Have you read any of this week’s choices?

Share what you’re reading in the comments…

1. 11th May 2016 / 10:26 am

The problem I have, is now every time I see a reference to See How They Run, all I can think about is Shell’s t-shirt and “Oh my god! It’s Tom Bale!” ๐Ÿ™‚

I’m really glad you liked the lighthouse book. I think it’ll make a great film (although we’ll all need a packet of tissues because it’s sure to be a weepie).

I hope everything goes ok at the hospital and you enjoy book club. At least the book will give you plenty to talk about.

Here’s my WWW: https://clairehuston.wordpress.com/2016/05/11/www-wednesday-11th-may-2016/

• 12th May 2016 / 8:37 pm

I went to see The Jungle Book on Tuesday and as we waiting for our tickets, the trailer for The Light Between Oceans was playing….looks a proper heartbreaker!! We did have a really good discussion about it so thank you for the recommendation ๐Ÿ™‚

Had to go for second x-ray on the old ankle..10 days for results ๐Ÿ™

2. 11th May 2016 / 11:15 am

Terrified to read See How They Run, but don’t see how I can’t! The Swimming Pool’s cover has to be the most attention grabbing one I’ve seen in the last year, I think I’d get the paperback just for that reason!

• 12th May 2016 / 8:38 pm

It’s soooo good, I don’t think you’ll be disappointed!
      I have a spare hardback proof of The Swimming Pool, I’m just waiting for the publicist to say I can use it for a giveaway…watch this space ๐Ÿ™‚

3. 11th May 2016 / 6:58 pm

I hope your medical appointment went well ๐Ÿ™‚
    I find Jane Steele very intriguing. Jane Eyre is one of the few classics I managed to finish and like (I am still proud of myself for this achievement).
    I won’t check The Light Between Oceans because I am short on tissues! Lame excuse, but I am not in the mood for tears right now. I think I’d even prefer a horror story, and I am a wuss, so that says something!
    It is getting harder to resist and buy See How They Run. *looks at her TBR* Nah, I must behave! For now.
    Happy reading! ๐Ÿ™‚
    Here is my WWW https://chocolatenwafflesblog.wordpress.com/2016/05/11/this-week-in-books-may-11th-2016/

• 12th May 2016 / 8:40 pm

Thank you! it was fine..see ^^ for more info ๐Ÿ™‚

Doing this meme each is not good for the TBR so I know exactly where you’re coming from. You have to be so selective in what you choose to add!

4. 11th May 2016 / 7:31 pm

I haven’t read any of these but I’m very interested in reading Jane Steele. I haven’t read Jane Eyre, but this just sounds so so so good.

• 12th May 2016 / 8:41 pm

I’m looking forward to it…I’ll probably end up wanting to read Jane Eyre after just to compare ๐Ÿ™‚

5. 12th May 2016 / 12:24 am

Jane Eyre is one of my favourite novels! You really should give it a try. But I hope you enjoy Jane Steele. I’ve read Lyndsay Faye’s Dust & Shadow and enjoyed ti and I’ve heard decent things about Jane Steele so I’ll probably pick it up. Plus, I’m always intrigued by an adaptation/retelling of Jane Eyre. Rebecca by Daphne DuMaurier is superb as well <3
    Happy Reading ๐Ÿ™‚

• 12th May 2016 / 8:53 pm

More than likely I will want to read Jane Eyre after Jane Steele to check out the differences and similarities. I read Joanna Trollope’s retelling of Sense & Sensibility which I didn’t really like. I’ve not read S&S but know of the story and didn’t feel the redo felt right in the 21st Century. Hoping this won’t be the same ๐Ÿ™‚

6. 12th May 2016 / 4:13 am

I sobbed after finishing The Light Between Oceans, such a great book. I also really enjoyed Jane Steele. I’m currently reading The Dark Inside by Rod Reynolds.

• 12th May 2016 / 8:43 pm

I cried too…as a book club we’re going to see the movie later in the year too…I expect it’ll be even more heart-breaking than the book.
      Thanks for visiting and sharing what you’re reading ๐Ÿ™‚

7. 12th May 2016 / 10:03 pm

I’m glad you liked The Light Between Oveans. That was a book club favorite in my group as well. Happy reading and thanks for participating in WWW Wednesday!

8. 13th May 2016 / 12:52 am

I really want to get a copy of both The Swimming Pool and See How They Run! They sound SO good… Jane Steele sounds interesting as well; I’m looking forward to read your thoughts. ๐Ÿ™‚

9. 13th May 2016 / 9:06 am

I’m seeing so many thrillers as I do the rounds of WWW this week! The Swimming Pool and See How They Run both sound very intense. I really need to get around to having the thriller month I keep promising myself.

Thanks for visiting my WWW post! ๐Ÿ™‚

10. 15th May 2016 / 12:20 pm

Lovely post ๐Ÿ™‚ The Swimming Pool has intrigued me!