WWW Wednesday (April 6th)

I’m reading…

The Rosie Effect by Graeme Simsion

It’s good to be back again in the company of Don and Rosie and the next instalment in their lives.  This sequel is just as humerous and heart-warming as the first.  I reviewed The Rosie Project here if you’re interested in checking that out.

The Rosie EffectThe blurb

Forty-one-year-old geneticist Don Tillman had never had a second date before he met Rosie.

Now, living in New York City, they have survived ten months and ten days of marriage, even if Don has had to sacrifice standardized meals and embrace unscheduled sex.

But then Rosie drops the mother of all bombshells. And Don must prepare for the biggest challenge of his previously ordered life – while dodging deportation, prosecution and professional disgrace.

Is Don Tillman ready to become the man he always dreamed of being? Or will he revert to his old ways and risk losing Rosie for ever?

I recently finished

The Trouble with Goats and Sheep by Joanna Cannon

A thoroughly delightful read that will particularly appeal to anyone that grew up in the 1970s and 80s…reminiscent of my own childhood.  A book that you long to savour but can’t help devouring.

The Trouble with Goats and SheepThe blurb

England, 1976.

Mrs Creasy is missing and The Avenue is alive with whispers. As the summer shimmers endlessly on, ten-year-olds Grace and Tilly decide to take matters into their own hands.

And as the cul-de-sac starts giving up its secrets, the amateur detectives will find much more than they imagined…

What’s up next?

Short Cut by Leigh Russell

I met Leigh recently at an author / blogger meet up in London and she offered me her book for review.  I’m expecting this to be a lot darker than my usual crime thriller reads but I’ll give it a go.  This is the first in her DI Geraldine Steel mystery series.

Short CutThe blurb

When DI Geraldine Steel relocates to the quiet rural town of Woolsmarsh, she expects to find her new home to be somewhere where nothing much ever happens; a space where she can battle her demons in private.

But when she finds herself pitted against a twisted killer preying on local young women she quickly discovers how wrong she is…

Have you read any of this week’s choices?

Share what you’re reading in the comments…

1. 6th April 2016 / 9:18 am

I got the Rosie Project from the library a few months ago but somehow never got around to reading and ended up having to return it. I think I just wasn’t sure about it and kept putting it off. Maybe I should give it another try.

• 6th April 2016 / 10:56 am

So far so good…it doesn’t quite have the unexpected humour that came with The Rosie Project as I’m now expecting that from Don but still a fun read!

• 6th April 2016 / 10:57 am

I’m enjoying it so far but you’re right, it doesn’t have quite the same impact.
      Thanks for stopping by 🙂

2. 6th April 2016 / 10:54 am

Heard a lot about ‘The Trouble with Goats and Sheep’ but never got round to requesting it, now I really wish I had- sounds great! 🙁 I also really enjoyed The Rosie Project though heard a lot of people didn’t enjoy it as much as the first- but I did, anyway! 🙂
    I know you’ve seen mine but here it is anyway! http://snazzybooks.com/2016/04/06/www-wednesday-6-april-2016/

• 6th April 2016 / 7:41 pm

Oh do put Goats & Sheep on your TBR list; it’s a lovely read which I do recommend. Thanks for visiting and leaving your link 🙂

3. 6th April 2016 / 11:02 am

I haven’t read any of these! The Rosie Effects sounds nice, you can’t go wrong with heart-warming! 🙂

4. 6th April 2016 / 11:08 am

I think I’m going to have to buy The Trouble with Goats and Sheep for my Kindle as I’m still struggling to hold my hardback edition. I was a child in the 80s so I’m sure this book will resonate with me a lot too. I’m glad you enjoyed reading it. I haven’t read any of Leigh Russell’s books but this one sound good, I’ll look forward to reading your review once you’ve read it. Hope you have a great week!

Here’s my WWW / TWiB post:

• 6th April 2016 / 12:33 pm

I just discovered today Hayley that my local library has an e-book service and Goats & Sheep was on the rental list. Maybe yours does too! I think you’ll love it 🙂

• 6th April 2016 / 4:38 pm

Thanks so much for letting me know, I’ll go have a look on my local library’s website now. 🙂

• 6th April 2016 / 7:32 pm

Hopefully I will have an update for you next week. I don’t like crime novels that are overly graphic, that play on my mind or keep me awake!

• 6th April 2016 / 8:16 pm

I only have that with movies, not books 🙂

5. 6th April 2016 / 1:08 pm

Do you think you could persuade your book club to read Goats and Sheep? I’ve given my copy to my mum and I think she’ll enjoy it. She and Dad can remember the heatwave of ’76! 🙂

I hope you enjoy the Leigh Russell. I have the copy of her new crossover book safely stashed upstairs and I’m working my way towards it as quickly as I can.

Here’s my WWW: https://clairehuston.wordpress.com/2016/04/06/www-wednesday-6th-april-2016/

• 6th April 2016 / 7:34 pm

Probably not as a group as one member has already read it, as have I and there are only 5 of us. Would make a really good book club choice though wouldn’t it, given the conversation we had after it!

• 6th April 2016 / 7:53 pm

And if you made cute cupcakes and paid her train fare, I bet you could persuade Joanna Cannon to turn up too. After all, if J.K. Rowling can go to a random book club up in Scotland somewhere…

• 6th April 2016 / 7:55 pm

Maybe she would come to my library which is on the same street where I live! Yeah I saw that about JK…I don’t think I could have spoken to her and I’m not even a Potterhead lol!

6. 6th April 2016 / 1:09 pm

I have the Rosie Project on my shelf but haven’t read it yet. I’m sure I will at some point though!

Here’s my WWW.

• 6th April 2016 / 7:36 pm

I really recommend The Rosie Project; especially as you liked Shtum and this is a kind of lighter-hearted take on mental illness (not that I’m trying to belittle it in any way!).

7. 6th April 2016 / 6:06 pm

Good to see you’re continuing with Rosie – although I enjoyed this second novel I much preferred The Rosie Project – thanks for visiting my Wednesday post earlier.

• 6th April 2016 / 7:38 pm

I am really enjoying it but I agree The Rosie Project was probably the better of the 2.

8. 6th April 2016 / 6:17 pm

I still have to read The Rosie Project, hopefully some time this year… It sounds like an interesting read though. Cut Short looks really intriguing as well; I hope you’ll enjoy your books this week!

• 6th April 2016 / 7:40 pm

I think you’ll definitely enjoy The Rosie Project; a good mix of humour and exploring mental illness in an unusual way! Thanks for visiting 😉

9. 6th April 2016 / 8:37 pm

The blurb for Cut Short has me wanting more! I fear it might be too graphic for me, I can’t lose more sleep than I already am so I’ll wait for your review 🙂
    The Rosie Project is on my TBR, I am thinking about getting it soon as spring is perfect for some heart-warming reads
    Happy reading!