WWW Wednesday (March 30th)

I’m reading…

The Trouble with Goats and Sheep by Joanna Cannon

Love Tilly and Grace, love all the characters on the avenue and love all the 1970s references; feels like a biography of my own childhood!

The Trouble with Goats and SheepThe blurb

England, 1976.

Mrs Creasy is missing and The Avenue is alive with whispers. As the summer shimmers endlessly on, ten-year-olds Grace and Tilly decide to take matters into their own hands.

And as the cul-de-sac starts giving up its secrets, the amateur detectives will find much more than they imagined…

I finally finished (yay I hear you shouting!)

Dead Wake by Erik Larson

Well to be completely honest I read what I needed too; in that I didn’t read the pages and pages of referencing the author had included at the end.  I really had had enough by then.  Fascinating story full of incredible detail, history and conspiracy theories but somewhat too long.

Dead WakeThe blurb

On May 1, 1915, with WWI entering its tenth month, a luxury ocean liner as richly appointed as an English country house sailed out of New York, bound for Liverpool, carrying a record number of children and infants. The passengers were surprisingly at ease, even though Germany had declared the seas around Britain to be a war zone. For months, German U-boats had brought terror to the North Atlantic. But the Lusitania was one of the era’s great transatlantic “Greyhounds”—the fastest liner then in service—and her captain, William Thomas Turner, placed tremendous faith in the gentlemanly strictures of warfare that for a century had kept civilian ships safe from attack.

I also finished

The Cuckoo’s Calling by Robert Galbraith

I’ve never read Harry Potter but I have read The Casual Vacancy which was laborious so I didn’t read and review this book particularly as a Rowling fan but I do love a good whodunit, and for me, this didn’t disappoint.  I’ll definitely pick up the second book The Silkworm. Review here.

The Cuckoo's CallingThe blurb

When a troubled model falls to her death from a snow-covered Mayfair balcony, it is assumed that she has committed suicide. However, her brother has his doubts, and calls in private investigator Cormoran Strike to look into the case.

Strike is a war veteran – wounded both physically and psychologically – and his life is in disarray. The case gives him a financial lifeline, but it comes at a personal cost: the more he delves into the young model’s complex world, the darker things get – and the closer he gets to terrible danger…

What’s up next?

The Rosie Effect by Graeme Simsion

The sequel to The Rosie Project is our latest book club read that I need to crack on with and I’m looking forward to meeting up with Don and Rosie again.  I reviewed The Rosie Project here.

The Rosie EffectThe blurb

Forty-one-year-old geneticist Don Tillman had never had a second date before he met Rosie.

Now, living in New York City, they have survived ten months and ten days of marriage, even if Don has had to sacrifice standardized meals and embrace unscheduled sex.

But then Rosie drops the mother of all bombshells. And Don must prepare for the biggest challenge of his previously ordered life – while dodging deportation, prosecution and professional disgrace.

Is Don Tillman ready to become the man he always dreamed of being? Or will he revert to his old ways and risk losing Rosie for ever?

Have you read any of this week’s choices?

Share what you’re reading in the comments…

• March 30, 2016 / 9:49 am

I think you’ll love it Hayley. It’s one to be savoured but you can’t help devouring it 🙂

• March 30, 2016 / 11:41 am

I got the hardback on release day but I’m struggling to read hardbacks at the moment so I’m very tempted to just get the kindle book as well so I can start reading! It does sound like a book I will adore. 🙂

• March 30, 2016 / 10:24 am

I just read the Drainpipe chapters last night..brilliant!! 🙂

• March 30, 2016 / 12:37 pm

I just love the two women trying to sit closer to it, as if that’s proof of who’s more “holy”!!

1. March 30, 2016 / 10:26 am

Totally fair to skip all the references! I remember when I was doing my undergrad, I would check how many pages of references there were at the end of a reading, then comfort myself knowing the assigned stuff wasn’t quiiiite as long and arduous as it looked.

The Trouble With Goats and Sheep sounds adorable. <3

• March 30, 2016 / 1:53 pm

Those references would have taken another week to plough through without really adding anything!

2. March 30, 2016 / 11:06 am

I liked The Rosie Effect but not as much as The Rosie Project. I hope you love it though! 🙂

• March 30, 2016 / 11:48 am

mmm hope that’s not a case of second book in a series syndrome 😉

3. March 30, 2016 / 7:19 pm

Look forward to your review of The Rosie Effect Lindsay. I read The Rosie Project and enjoyed it but wasn’t drawn to the second book.

Did I read on FB recently that The Trouble with Goats and Sheep has been optioned for a TV series?

• March 30, 2016 / 7:35 pm

Yeah I saw that too about Goats & Sheep; I think it was an article in one of the Sunday papers. That’ll be something to look forward too. Have you read the book Shaz?

• April 1, 2016 / 12:00 pm

If you like historical books then this is a good book to pick…I hope you like it 🙂

4. March 30, 2016 / 8:36 pm

I have seen the trouble with goats and sheep on sooo many blogs now. I haven’t got it myself but maybe shoul put it on my tbr! Enjoy your book x

• April 1, 2016 / 12:01 pm

I definitely recommend it. It seems to be one of those that’s had a good marketing budget thrown at it 🙂

5. March 30, 2016 / 8:40 pm

The Rosie series has been on my TBR forever, I’ve decided it would make a perfect summer read. I’m looking forward to reading your review 🙂 I’m curious about The Trouble with Goats and Sheep now that I have seen it on a few blogs.
    Happy reading!

6. March 30, 2016 / 8:59 pm

Oh, The Goats and Sheep sounds really interesting! I’ll be interested in seeing what you think of it!

• April 1, 2016 / 12:05 pm

A lovely book; ideal if you grew up in the 1970s or 80’s which I suspect you didn’t? 🙂

• April 1, 2016 / 4:33 pm

Haha no, I was born in ’91 so a little late. 🙂

7. March 30, 2016 / 9:17 pm

Ooh I loved The Rosie Project which was a real departure from my normal genre – I really do need to pick up my copy of The Cuckoo’s Calling now!

• April 1, 2016 / 12:06 pm

Ooh that is unusual for you Cleo!
      Yes do, I hope you like it 🙂

8. March 30, 2016 / 9:19 pm

I have The Rosie Project on my tbr and will definitely be getting round to it soon! Hope you enjoy the next instalment!

Thanks for visiting my WWW.

• April 1, 2016 / 11:58 am

Thanks, will be starting tonight so will have some feedback for next week’s WWW 🙂

9. March 30, 2016 / 11:05 pm

I’m glad you liked ‘The Cuckoo’s Calling.’ I really enjoyed it as well. I don’t think the audiobook of Dead Wake I listened to had the reference pages in it because I wouldn’t have wanted to read those either, haha. Happy reading and thanks for participating in WWW Wednesday!

• March 31, 2016 / 9:13 am

Glad I’m not alone then ha! Surely those references would only appeal to die hard history buffs 😉

10. March 30, 2016 / 11:05 pm

Well done for getting through Dead Wake. I don’t think I could have done it.

Always been quite curious about Robert Galbraith. I am a big Potter fan but haven’t been too convinced about reading anything by JK’s alter ego. I have heard that it gets better as it goes so if you liked the first you’ll probably love the second 🙂

• March 31, 2016 / 9:11 am

Ha, thanks!
      I would swerve The Casual Vacancy but if you like murder mysteries then the Galbraith is worth a look.
      Thanks for visiting and commenting 🙂

11. March 31, 2016 / 12:03 am

Congrats finishing Dead Wake! I always hate it when a book reads really slow. The Trouble With Goats And Sheep sounds really good by the way; I hope you’ll enjoy your books this week! 🙂

• April 1, 2016 / 11:28 pm

I’m definitely adding it to my wishlist! 🙂