WWW Wednesday (March 16th)

I’m still reading…

Dead Wake by Erik Larson

I’m really liking this but am just making such slow progress. It’s taken me nearly a week to read 100 pages, I could usually read a ‘regular’ novel in that time.  I’m starting part two and the ship has only just set sail, there’s been a lot of build up in introducing the passengers and crew on board but also the back story to the U-boats crew.

Dead WakeThe blurb

On May 1, 1915, with WWI entering its tenth month, a luxury ocean liner as richly appointed as an English country house sailed out of New York, bound for Liverpool, carrying a record number of children and infants. The passengers were surprisingly at ease, even though Germany had declared the seas around Britain to be a war zone. For months, German U-boats had brought terror to the North Atlantic. But the Lusitania was one of the era’s great transatlantic “Greyhounds”—the fastest liner then in service—and her captain, William Thomas Turner, placed tremendous faith in the gentlemanly strictures of warfare that for a century had kept civilian ships safe from attack.

Germany, however, was determined to change the rules of the game, and Walther Schwieger, the captain of Unterseeboot-20, was happy to oblige. Meanwhile, an ultra-secret British intelligence unit tracked Schwieger’s U-boat, but told no one. As U-20 and the Lusitania made their way toward Liverpool, an array of forces both grand and achingly small—hubris, a chance fog, a closely guarded secret, and more—all converged to produce one of the great disasters of history.

But I have squeezed this in…

The Jazz Files by Fiona Veitch Smith

I read this over the weekend and really enjoyed it. As a huge Marple fan I particularly liked the 1920s setting and look forward to more of the Poppy Denby Investigates series. It very much reminded me of the TV series Miss Fisher’s Murder Mysteries; which I’ve only seen a couple of episodes of but is of a similar vein.

The Jazz FilesThe blurb

Set in 1920, The Jazz Files introduces aspiring journalist Poppy Denby, who arrives in London to look after her ailing Aunt Dot, an infamous suffragette. Dot encourages Poppy to apply for a job at The Daily Globe, but on her first day a senior reporter is killed and Poppy is tasked with finishing his story. It involves the mysterious death of a suffragette seven years earlier, about which some powerful people would prefer that nothing be said…

Through her friend Delilah Marconi, Poppy is introduced to the giddy world of London in the Roaring Twenties, with its flappers, jazz clubs, and romance. Will she make it as an investigative journalist, in this fast-paced new city? And will she be able to unearth the truth before more people die?

What’s up next?

The Cuckoo’s Calling by Robert Galbraith

This has been on my Kindle since publication and I’ve seen it doing the rounds lately on a couple of blogs which has prompted me to finally read it. I also needed a Kindle read for a train journey at the weekend 🙂

The Cuckoo's CallingThe blurb

When a troubled model falls to her death from a snow-covered Mayfair balcony, it is assumed that she has committed suicide. However, her brother has his doubts, and calls in private investigator Cormoran Strike to look into the case.

Strike is a war veteran – wounded both physically and psychologically – and his life is in disarray. The case gives him a financial lifeline, but it comes at a personal cost: the more he delves into the young model’s complex world, the darker things get – and the closer he gets to terrible danger…

So what do you think of my choices this week?

Share what you’re reading in the comments…

• 17th March 2016 / 7:49 pm

Not sure I’ll be picking up any other non-fiction any time soon. It’s severely hampering my reading rate!

1. 16th March 2016 / 9:49 am

You had me at the Miss Fisher comparison! That’s one of my favourite shows! I love the idea of a crime story in amongst the suffrage movement. I’m going to add that one to the TBR.

• 16th March 2016 / 9:54 am

Oh brilliant! I’ve only seen a couple of episodes of it myself but the similarities just stuck in my mind 🙂

• 17th March 2016 / 7:51 pm

I’m looking forward to it too. I don’t read many series, actually hardly any, so this will be quite new for me 🙂

• 17th March 2016 / 8:49 pm

I can’t wait, I adored The Jazz Files! I’m sure this series will prove worth it given how enjoyable the first book was.

• 17th March 2016 / 7:55 pm

I’m hearing this quite a lot about Cuckoo’s Calling…it does make me more intrigued to read it though! Great to have you in the WWW gang 🙂

2. 16th March 2016 / 5:02 pm

Glad you’re sticking with Dead Wake. I really liked his descriptions of the passengers we get to know well. And enjoy Galbraith! I’ve liked the series. Happy reading and thanks for participating in WWW Wednesday!

• 17th March 2016 / 8:02 pm

Dead Wake as a whole is a very impressive book, it’s cleverly constructed given there’s very little dialogue. It’s just a slow read!

• 17th March 2016 / 8:03 pm

Oooh I didn’t know the Miss Fisher series were books so thanks for that!
      Thanks for visiting 🙂

• 17th March 2016 / 8:09 pm

I’ve been hearing that a lot today about The Cuckoo’s Calling…I’ll try one and see if I like it I guess!
      Thanks for visiting 🙂

3. 16th March 2016 / 9:06 pm

I still have The Cuckoo’s Calling sat on my shelf too – I do need to get around to it soon! And I loved The Jazz Files so good to hear you squeezed that one in. Here’s to another great reading week!

• 17th March 2016 / 8:11 pm

I’m really pleased I squeezed it in too…looking forward to the next one. Happy reading 🙂

4. 16th March 2016 / 9:10 pm

The Jazz Files sounds great. I’ve just finished Olive Kitteridge, which I liked. I’m currently reading The Guernsey Literary and Potato Peel Pie Society and I don’t know what to read next; maybe The Jazz Files.

• 17th March 2016 / 8:18 pm

Oh I absolutely loved Guernsey Literary! I only came across it last year and thought it was such a very good read! If you enjoy that you might also like 84 Charing Cross Road by Helene Hanff.
      Thanks for visiting 🙂

• 17th March 2016 / 9:07 pm

I’m enjoying Guernsey Literary so far. Thanks for the recommendation; I’ll add it to the growing list 🙂

5. 16th March 2016 / 11:01 pm

Hopefully Dead Wake will pick up for you later on! I personally didn’t love The Cuckoo’s Calling, but it wasn’t a bad read either. I have meant to read the sequel for ages, but for now I still have to get a copy first haha. I hope you enjoy it! 🙂

• 17th March 2016 / 8:21 pm

All my WWW blogger friends have been saying that about The Cuckoo’s Calling…it’s making me want to read it more, I just hope I enjoy it.
      Thanks for stopping by 🙂

6. 17th March 2016 / 1:59 am

Good luck with The Cuckoos Calling. It was good, but slow, and I wasn’t a fan on the ending. Thanks for sharing about Dead Wake..it’s so not my genre, but I just rented the audiobook. It’s nice knowing what to expect. Wish you the best 🙂

• 17th March 2016 / 8:22 pm

Thank you! I’m really pleased you’ve considered Dead Wake, the audio book sounds like a good idea!
      Thanks for visiting 🙂