WWW Wednesday (March 9th)

I’m currently reading…

Dead Wake by Erik Larson

This is taking some reading as there is no actual dialogue, I’m assuming because it’s non-fiction. It doesn’t read like a reference book though and you know what, I might actually learn something.

Dead WakeThe blurb

On May 1, 1915, with WWI entering its tenth month, a luxury ocean liner as richly appointed as an English country house sailed out of New York, bound for Liverpool, carrying a record number of children and infants. The passengers were surprisingly at ease, even though Germany had declared the seas around Britain to be a war zone. For months, German U-boats had brought terror to the North Atlantic. But the Lusitania was one of the era’s great transatlantic “Greyhounds”—the fastest liner then in service—and her captain, William Thomas Turner, placed tremendous faith in the gentlemanly strictures of warfare that for a century had kept civilian ships safe from attack.

Germany, however, was determined to change the rules of the game, and Walther Schwieger, the captain of Unterseeboot-20, was happy to oblige. Meanwhile, an ultra-secret British intelligence unit tracked Schwieger’s U-boat, but told no one. As U-20 and the Lusitania made their way toward Liverpool, an array of forces both grand and achingly small—hubris, a chance fog, a closely guarded secret, and more—all converged to produce one of the great disasters of history.

I recently finished

The Ice Twins by S.K Tremayne

I really enjoyed this book; it’s a bit creepy, a little chilling but still feels realistic enough to be believable…the remote location is however questionable (as discussed on last weeks post!).

The Ice TwinsThe blurb

A year after one of their identical twin daughters, Lydia, dies in an accident, Angus and Sarah Moorcraft move to the tiny Scottish island Angus inherited from his grandmother, hoping to put together the pieces of their shattered lives.

But when their surviving daughter, Kirstie, claims they have mistaken her identity – that she, in fact, is Lydia – their world comes crashing down once again.

As winter encroaches, Angus is forced to travel away from the island for work, Sarah is feeling isolated, and Kirstie (or is it Lydia?) is growing more disturbed. When a violent storm leaves Sarah and her daughter stranded, Sarah finds herself tortured by the past – what really happened on that fateful day one of her daughters died?

What’s up next?

The Jazz Files by Fiona Veitch Smith

I’d seen this book reviewed on Cleo’s and Hayley’s blog and it sounded like just my kind of read. I was lucky enough to be accepted for a copy via Netgalley.

The Jazz FilesThe blurb

Set in 1920, The Jazz Files introduces aspiring journalist Poppy Denby, who arrives in London to look after her ailing Aunt Dot, an infamous suffragette. Dot encourages Poppy to apply for a job at The Daily Globe, but on her first day a senior reporter is killed and Poppy is tasked with finishing his story. It involves the mysterious death of a suffragette seven years earlier, about which some powerful people would prefer that nothing be said…

Through her friend Delilah Marconi, Poppy is introduced to the giddy world of London in the Roaring Twenties, with its flappers, jazz clubs, and romance. Will she make it as an investigative journalist, in this fast-paced new city? And will she be able to unearth the truth before more people die?

So what do you think of my choices this week?

Share what you’re reading in the comments…

1. 9th March 2016 / 8:12 am

So glad you got a copy of the Jazz Files – I do hope you enjoy it and thank you very much for linking my review

• 9th March 2016 / 9:11 am

No problem Cleo, thought it only fair to highlight where I’d seen it 🙂
      Thanks for visiting!

• 9th March 2016 / 9:10 am

You’re welcome, I’m sure I will like it.
      Thanks for visiting 🙂

• 9th March 2016 / 10:02 am

I’m looking forward to reading it as I’ve seen so many positive reviews.
      Thanks for stopping by 🙂

• 9th March 2016 / 10:57 am

Me too. But it does come highly recommended from Cleo & Hayley so I think it’ll be good….when I get there!
      Thanks for visiting 🙂

2. 9th March 2016 / 12:11 pm

I’ve been tempted by the cover of Dead Wake but I didn’t realise there was no dialogue. Think I may pass although I should really follow your example and try to broaden my reading 🙂

• 9th March 2016 / 3:14 pm

That was my thinking too. It’s not a difficult read in terms of its language or style; there’s just very little breaking it up.
      Thanks for visiting 🙂

• 9th March 2016 / 3:23 pm

Yeah I think I’d recommend it. It’s of a psychological drama / thriller style. Maybe get a copy from your library just in case 😉
      Thanks for stopping by!

• 9th March 2016 / 3:11 pm

Yeah, I’m feeling like that. I’ve read about 80 pages in 5 days. I could have read a ‘normal’ book in that time.
      Thanks for visiting 🙂

3. 9th March 2016 / 3:23 pm

Larson does have a way of writing non-fiction that makes it seem almost fictional. Easy learning!
    I have Dead Wake near the top of my book pile, so I haven’t read that one yet, but Devil in the White City and In the Garden of Beasts were pretty solid.

Happy Wednesday!

My WWW : http://thelaurenest.com/2016/03/09/its-www-wednesday/

• 9th March 2016 / 5:05 pm

Yes, I’ve been thinking the same thing as I’ve been reading. I’d not heard of his books before I saw Dead Wake on Sam’s WWW.
      Thanks for visiting 🙂

4. 9th March 2016 / 4:09 pm

I have both The Ice Twins and Dead Wake on my TBR! They sound like really good reads. 🙂

5. 9th March 2016 / 6:55 pm

The Jazz Files looks intriguing! I hope that you enjoy it.

6. 9th March 2016 / 9:47 pm

The Ice Twins is already on my tbr but I think I’m going to add The Jazz Files too! Will keep an eye out for your review.

Here’s my WWW.

7. 9th March 2016 / 11:03 pm

I love your comment about Dead Wake not reading like a textbook. I love that about Larson. I never feel like I’m learning but I’m learning a lot from him. Happy reading and thanks for participating in WWW Wednesday!

• 10th March 2016 / 9:36 am

Ha, thank you. It does take some reading though doesn’t it?

8. 10th March 2016 / 5:22 am

Happy to hear you liked Ice Twins, I was very curious about it 🙂 Good luck on the nonfiction. I always find it interesting, but much less appealing than fiction to read.

9. 24th March 2016 / 4:32 pm

Always looking for more cozy mysteries and The Jazz Files sounds right up my alley!
    All your books have an interest to me. Great reads!