WWW Wednesday (January 20th)

I’m currently reading…

Life after Life by Kate Atkinson

I’ve had to postpone my reading of The Rabbit Back Literature Society that I had planned to read next from last week’s WWW post. This is due to our next book club read being A God in Ruins which is the companion novel/follow up to Life after Life.  I’d had Life after Life on my Kindle for such a long time so wanted to squeeze this in before A God In Ruins. I just hope I have time to finish both as they are lengthy books.

Life after LifeThe blurb

What if you had the chance to live your life again and again, until you finally got it right?

During a snowstorm in England in 1910, a baby is born and dies before she can take her first breath.

During a snowstorm in England in 1910, the same baby is born and lives to tell the tale.

What if there were second chances? And third chances? In fact an infinite number of chances to live your life? Would you eventually be able to save the world from its own inevitable destiny? And would you even want to?

Life After Life follows Ursula Todd as she lives through the turbulent events of the last century again and again. With wit and compassion, Kate Atkinson finds warmth even in life’s bleakest moments, and shows an extraordinary ability to evoke the past. Here she is at her most profound and inventive, in a novel that celebrates the best and worst of ourselves.

I recently finished

Pretty Is by Maggie Mitchell

I had high hopes for this book but for me, it never really got going. This may be because of my expectations and what I thought it was going to be but overall I just felt meh and so what about it.
Pretty IsThe blurb
Lois and Carly-May are just twelve years old when they’re abducted, driven across the country, and imprisoned in a remote, isolated hunting lodge for two months. That summer, under the watchful gaze of their kidnapper, they form a bond which will never be broken . . .
Decades later, both Lois and Carly-May have built new lives and identities for themselves. Lois, a professor of literature, is shaken when an obsessive student reminds her of the man who kidnapped her, a man she saw shoot himself on the porch twenty years before.
Out in LA, Carly-May is drinking too much and watching her beauty-queen looks fade, clinging to the last remnants of a once-promising career as an actress. When she reads a shockingly familiar screenplay, she warily she takes a role she knows is based on events from her own life.
Increasingly haunted by the devastating experience that shaped both their lives, Lois and Carly-May are drawn together again in a world that both echoes and falsifies their beautiful, terrible story.

What’s up next?

A God in Ruins by Kate Atkinson

This is our next book club choice which we’ll be discussing February 10th.

A God In RuinsThe blurb

A God in Ruins relates the life of Teddy Todd – would-be poet, heroic World War II bomber pilot, husband, father, and grandfather – as he navigates the perils and progress of the 20th century. For all Teddy endures in battle, his greatest challenge will be to face living in a future he never expected to have.

This gripping, often deliriously funny yet emotionally devastating book looks at war – that great fall of Man from grace – and the effect it has, not only on those who live through it, but on the lives of the subsequent generations. It is also about the infinite magic of fiction. Those who loved the bestselling Life After Life will recognise Teddy as Ursula Todd’s adored younger brother – but for those who have not read it, A God in Ruins stands fully on its own.

Have you read any of this week’s choices or share what books you’re reading?

• 20th January 2016 / 9:57 am

I’ll be starting Life after Life this evening..fingers crossed.
      Thanks for visiting 🙂

1. 20th January 2016 / 10:26 am

That blurb for Life After Life sounds really intriguing. I’ll be interested to hear your thoughts on it.

• 20th January 2016 / 2:08 pm

Check back in a week; hopefully I will have finished it but it is around 600 pages so who knows!
      Thanks for stopping by 🙂

2. 20th January 2016 / 11:32 am

I hope you enjoy ‘Life After Life’ and the companion novel. My book club read ‘Life After Life’ last year and I liked it even though I felt the middle dragged a little. I’m not sure about reading the companion novel so I’ll be excited to see what you think. Happy reading and thanks for participating in WWW Wednesday!

• 20th January 2016 / 2:11 pm

It’ll certainly be a challenge getting through both in the time I have, but I’ll have a good go!

3. 20th January 2016 / 1:09 pm

I haven’t read any of these but Life After Life was recommended to me by a colleague, so it’s actually on my reading list! Happy reading! 🙂

• 20th January 2016 / 2:10 pm

Thank you! It’s been on my TBR for about a year too.

4. 20th January 2016 / 1:15 pm

I quite like Kate Atkinson but don’t always find her books the easiest to get into. I’ve had Life After Life lurking on a shelf for over a year now but have never gotten around to reading. Will be interested to hear if you enjoy it.

• 20th January 2016 / 2:07 pm

I’ve not read any of her books before but it sounds like it’ll be a challenge.
      Thanks for visiting!

5. 20th January 2016 / 2:40 pm

Hi Lindsay,
    I haven’t read any of the books you mentioned but Life After Life by Kate Atkinson caught my interest. So, it’s now on my reading list.
    Shalom,
    Patricia

• 20th January 2016 / 7:48 pm

Thanks for stopping by Pat. I hope you enjoy it too 🙂

6. 20th January 2016 / 3:14 pm

Life After Life has a great plot, although I find it strange that they try to hook you with the short life of a baby. I’m not sure there is much to learn from that life? Hmm.. I hope you like it and the length doesn’t wear on you.

For whatever reasons, lo g books always get to me even when I’m really enjoying their content..

Happy Wednesday!

• 20th January 2016 / 7:50 pm

I must admit I only bought it for my Kindle because it was on offer for 99p and everyone was raving about it and it’s been sat there waiting to be read ever since!

7. 20th January 2016 / 7:10 pm

Life After Life sounds interesting, although I’ve read books with a similar plot before (My Name Is Memory for example). I hope you enjoy both Atkinson’s books! 🙂

• 20th January 2016 / 7:47 pm

I’ve not heard of that book so I will have a look 🙂

• 21st January 2016 / 12:04 am

I personally didn’t enjoy My Name Is Memory that much, but I’ve heard others who enjoyed it a lot more… I’ve also read similar blurbs while browsing books in the past, but I can’t remember the titles right now.

8. 20th January 2016 / 9:18 pm

What a fantastic selection – I’ve not read Life after Life but I want to and Pretty Is has had some good press so I’m sorry that it didn’t work for you!

9. 20th January 2016 / 9:48 pm

I’ve not read any of these books so I’m looking forward to seeing what you think and maybe adding some to my tbr. Happy reading!

Here’s my WWW.

10. 10th April 2016 / 10:39 pm

I commented on your AGIR review about the rabbit cover… didn’t know about the fox one for LAL! Now that one I get.. Fox Corner or wherever it is they live. Interesting design decisions there.

• 15th April 2016 / 12:09 pm

Thank you!
      Book covers are a whole other world aren’t they? A blog post waiting to be written perhaps…..