WWW Wednesday (November 18th)

This weekly meme is hosted by Sam at Taking on a World of Words. It’s open to all to participate. Why not join in and let us know what’s on your reading list this week…

WWW Wednesday

I’m currently reading…

1984Nineteen Eighty-Four by George Orwell

Because I don’t quite get what is going on in this book it’s taking me longer to read and I’m finding myself re-reading parts to fully understand.

I can appreciate how reading this book over sixty years ago could have been completely terrifying. Almost as shocking as those who heard War of the Worlds on the radio and believed it to be true.

Hidden away in the Record Department of the sprawling Ministry of Truth, Winston Smith skilfully rewrites the past to suit the needs of the Party. Yet he inwardly rebels against the totalitarian world he lives in, which demands absolute obedience and controls him through the all-seeing telescreens and the watchful eye of Big Brother, symbolic head of the Party. In his longing for truth and liberty, Smith begins a secret love affair with a fellow-worker Julia, but soon discovers the true price of freedom is betrayal.

I didn’t finish

A Reunion of GhostsA Reunion of Ghosts by Judith Claire Mitchell

It’s not very often, in fact, hardly ever that I don’t finish books and unfortunately this is one of them.

I got to about 30% and was really struggling to engage with any of the characters or the stilted timeline, so I gave up.

How do three sisters write a single suicide note?

In the waning days of 1999, the Alter sisters – Lady, Vee, and Delph – finalise their plans to end their lives. Their reasons are not theirs alone; they are the last in a long line of Alters who have killed themselves, beginning with their great-grandmother, the wife of a Jewish Nobel Prize-winning chemist who developed the first poison gas used in World War I and the lethal agent used in Third Reich gas chambers. The chemist himself, their son Richard, and Richard’s children all followed suit.

The childless sisters also define themselves by their own bad luck. Lady, the oldest, never really resumed living after her divorce. Vee is facing cancer’s return. And Delph, the youngest, is resigned to a spinster’s life of stifled dreams. But despite their pain they love each other fiercely, and share a darkly brilliant sense of humour.

As they gather in the ancestral Upper West Side apartment to close the circle of the Alter curse, an epic story about four generations of one family – inspired in part by the troubled life of German-Jewish Fritz Haber, Nobel Prize winner and inventor of chlorine gas – unfolds.

What’s up next?

FingersmithFingersmith by Sarah Waters

I really enjoyed The Paying Guests and one of my fellow book club members has loaned me Fingersmith. I want to return it to her before our next meeting so this will be my next read.

London 1862. Sue Trinder, orphaned at birth, grows up among petty thieves – fingersmiths – under the rough but loving care of Mrs Sucksby and her ‘family’. But from the moment she draws breath, Sue’s fate is linked to that of another orphan growing up in a gloomy mansion not too many miles away.

Have you read any of this week’s choices? Let me know what you’re reading…

• bookboodle
      Author
      18th November 2015 / 10:29 am

Glad to hear I’m onto a winner with Fingersmith. All I really know is there’s a brilliant twist 🙂

1. 18th November 2015 / 10:04 am

That’s a good point about 1984 – I imagine many people forget how long ago it was written. The idea of constant surveillance through cameras/technology isn’t alien at all today and so the book has probably lost some of the creepiness it would have had when originally published. I hope you can get through the bit where Winston reads a great chunk of a boring Marxist treatise – I think I skimmed it to get back to the main story!
    Here’s my WWW: https://clairehuston.wordpress.com/2015/11/18/www-wednesday-18th-november-2015/

• bookboodle
      Author
      18th November 2015 / 10:28 am

Is that ‘the book’ that he gets when he joins the Brotherhood? If it is, I’m there now, yawn! I totally appreciate the time in which it was written and I should love it but I’m a bit meh….

• 18th November 2015 / 10:33 am

That’s the one! It is SO dull. As I say, I skimmed it the first time I read 1984 and felt bad. The second time I read 1984 I remembered just how boring it was and didn’t feel any guilt in skipping over it entirely!

• bookboodle
          Author
          18th November 2015 / 10:38 am

I think I’ll be skipping too 😉

2. 18th November 2015 / 11:55 am

I haven’t actually read Fingersmith, but my old housemate did have the DVDs of the BBC versions of both that and Tipping the Velvet, and I’ve sort of half-meant to read them ever since seeing those.

Sorry you had to drop A Reunion of Ghosts. I wasn’t sure what to make of it from the blurb when I read it on your post from last week.

Here’s my WWW post: https://keysandopenmind.wordpress.com/2015/11/18/wippet-wednesday-and-www-wednesday-18-november-2015/

• bookboodle
      Author
      18th November 2015 / 12:45 pm

Oh I hadn’t realised that Fingersmith had been adapted. I knew that Tipping had been. Maybe I will read the book and then watch the series.
      Just lately I’ve given up on 2 books, this one included, I think I’m finally realising that struggling on with books that you’re not enjoying is a waste of life!
      Thanks for visiting 🙂

• 18th November 2015 / 9:11 pm

Very good attitude! In the past year or so, I’ve become rather ruthless with books I’m not getting into.

• bookboodle
          Author
          18th November 2015 / 9:14 pm

I do feel a bit guilty though when they’re books I’ve requested from Netgalley etc

• bookboodle
      Author
      18th November 2015 / 3:43 pm

It does have a lovely cover, unfortunately the inside just wasn’t for me!
      Thanks for visiting 🙂

3. 18th November 2015 / 5:22 pm

I hop you can get into 1984. I read it in high school and enjoyed it. I have Fingersmith on my shelf as well. I hope you like it! Happy reading and thanks for participating in WWW Wednesday!

• bookboodle
      Author
      18th November 2015 / 7:47 pm

It’s quite slow but I will persevere. Thanks for stopping by 🙂

4. 18th November 2015 / 9:18 pm

I do love 1984 which I read in that very year! It is quite amazing how many of this books phrases passed into common vocabulary after all we all know what Room 101 signifies! I recently picked up a copy of Fingersmith as I really want to re-read all Sarah Waters books after falling in love with her writing all over again with The Paying Guests. Thanks for visiting my Wednesday post earlier.

• bookboodle
      Author
      18th November 2015 / 10:09 pm

I imagine reading it in 1984 without technology as we know it now would still have had quite an impact. For me, it lacks the wow factor, probably because of how we live now.
      Thanks for stopping by 🙂

5. 18th November 2015 / 10:02 pm

1984 is probably one of my favorite dystopian classics ever, I hope it picks up for you. And Fingersmith sounds like a very interesting read!

Happy Wednesday and thanks for visiting my WWW.

• bookboodle