Blogging from A-Z April Challenge – P

PP is for Pet Peeves

Pet peeves, as in book peeves – what do people do with their books and authors in their books that really peeve you?

A pet peeve or pet hate is a minor annoyance that an individual identifies as particularly annoying to himself or herself, to a greater degree than others may find it.

Here’s some of mine:

stickersWhy do book shops and retailers insist on stickers on the covers of books? They’re nigh on impossible to get them off and often they leave a horrible sticky mess on the lovely cover. They need to stop doing this or find a better/easier to remove sticker! #stopruiningthebooks

IMG_0464Another of my book peeves is those that fold the corners of their books! Why do people do this? Use a bookmark, a piece of paper, an old receipt but don’t fold the corners! They never go back down the same as before.

IMG_0494Why do people write and make notes in books? There are plenty of notebooks, sticky notes and page markers available at reasonable prices to make notes as you read. Why permanently deface a book? The mind boggles…

IMG_0469Underlining words – I can appreciate that the odd word here and there can add something to the the drama of the text but I read Oh Dear Silvia by Dawn French and it was full of underlined words. I’ve never seen anything like it and haven’t across it since but it was totally unnessary.

IMG_0467Now, as much as this should be a peeve of mine and I’m pretty sure many of you will recoil in horror but I am a spine cracker. I like my book to be open almost flat so I can read it properly.

In addition to these I’m not a fan of books without chapters – I like a natural break, or a designated stop without having to consider is this a good place to stop.

I also have a problem with books that have too small a font where it seems like I’m not making any progress; of course this is made easier when reading books on Kindles where you can vary your type size.

What are your biggest book peeves?

atoz [2015] - BANNER - 910

Advertisements

12 thoughts on “Blogging from A-Z April Challenge – P

1. suzigun says:

I like to read series in order, so find it irritating when publishers re-issue a series with all new covers, and I’ve got some series where the books are in different sizes.
    Can’t condone the spine cracking!

Liked by 1 person

2. suesconsideredtrifles says:

I find books which are full of grammatical, spelling and other errors very difficult. Self-publishing and the educational fad some years back that self-expression mattered more than spelling have increase the number of these. I must admit I usually forget to run the grammar/spell check on WordPress before publishing. (As it always throws out “blog” as incorrect, I do not ut much faith in it anyway!) Sue

Liked by 1 person

• bookboodle says:

I don’t like spelling mistakes either but can live with grammatical errors as my grammar isn’t as good as my spelling so I don’t always pick up on what it should be.
      Thanks for your comment Sue šŸ™‚

Liked by 1 person

3. jazzfeathers says:

You got me shiver on that ‘spine’ revelation. My book spine need to be intact. I’m always extremely careful not to bend them. I alway have this idea (which is just my idea, I know) that if I crack the spine, the book will fall apart.

Liked by 1 person

4. Louise says:

I’m a spine cracker too. How the outside of the book looks doesn’t bother me at all – but I hate it when the inside of a book is damaged or has writing, turned down pages etc.

I have had a book fall apart once – but I bought it in a charity shop and it was already quite tatty then my re-reading just finished it off.

Liked by 1 person

• bookboodle says:

I don’t like my books to get messy but am happy to crack its spine so I can read it properly and definitely agree that the inside should be kept as nice as possible šŸ™‚