The Picture of Dorian Gray – a blog read-along

Further to my post ‘Are classic novels a thing of the past?‘ I’ve got together with two other bloggers (Charl at Miscrawl and Becky at Blogs-Of-A-Bookaholic ) to read and blog-along The Picture of Dorian Gray by Oscar Wilde.

Here’s the books blurb:

Wilde’s only novel, first published in 1890, is a brilliantly designed puzzle,the_picture_of_dorian_gray intended to tease conventional minds with its exploration of the myriad interrelationships between art, life, and consequence. From its provocative Preface, challenging the reader to believe in ‘art for art’s sake’, to its sensational conclusion, the story self-consciously experiments with the notion of sin as an element of design. Yet Wilde himself underestimated the consequences of his experiment, and its capacity to outrage the Victorian establishment. Its words returned to haunt him in his court appearances in 1895, and he later recalled the ‘note of doom’ which runs like ‘a purple thread’ through its carefully crafted prose.

As classics don’t tend to be the easiest thing to read, the idea is we’ll offer each other moral support along the way via our blogs or by Twitter, as well as blogging our views along the way to questions we’ll each set.

We’re kicking off tomorrow July 1st and if you’d like to join us, you’d more than welcome!

1. June 30, 2013 / 8:33 pm

Eek can’t wait!

• June 30, 2013 / 8:35 pm

It’s our own mini online book club πŸ™‚

• June 30, 2013 / 8:40 pm

Ha mini indeed! I’ll write a quick blog post tomorrow when I’ve started the book. We’ll do the question stuff as Becky suggested, think she’s doing the first set, and we can keep in touch on Twitter too. My email is in my blog sidebar as well.

Let’s see how successful we are!

2. July 1, 2013 / 1:15 am

Woop woop! Gosh the first came around quickly didn’t it?! I can’t believe we start tomorrow. I better get a quick post ready and put it up tomorrow. Looking forward to chatting with you guys. πŸ™‚ My twitter is fuzzyslippers22 and my email is bookinglikebelle@gmail.com if you want to get in touch! Good luck guys. πŸ˜€

3. July 1, 2013 / 2:02 pm

I feel it’s important to let you know that Becky, whilst utterly charming in every possible way, reads quite slowly.

So if she suddenly announces that she’s 51% through it, be sure to quiz her thoroughly about her progress to make sure she isn’t telling fibs.

• July 2, 2013 / 3:49 pm